Robin's Reviews > Everywhere I Look

Everywhere I Look by Helen Garner

Jun 06, 2016

I read this book as part of the Australian Women Writers Challenge 2016.

I have been a fan of Helen Garner's writing, especially her non-fiction, for years and this collection of articles, essays and diary entries written over a period of 15 years is another gem. Like us all she is trying to make sense of the world, and whether she is having a conversation with her grandchildren or sitting in court while a teenager is convicted of killing her newborn baby, she writes simply and eloquently with wisdom, compassion and humour, with a fine ear and eye for the frailties of human nature. Like all great writers, she can convey deep emotion in just a few well-chosen words.

I love the little vignettes about her grandchildren, so everyday yet so moving, and this is my favourite paragraph in the whole book:

Ted approaches me with a strange, bashful smile and his eyes lowered. 'Nanny, you said to me that you always like my face.' 'I do. When I see it coming towards me I feel very happy.' He blushes, and can't stop smiling or meet my eye. Soon we are aiming his cowboy pistols out the kitchen window at the red bucket on the woodpile, and firing with deadly accuracy. But when I say 'Peeeyow!' he corrects me: apparently only he is allowed to say 'Peeeyow.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everywhere I Look.

June 3, 2016 – Started Reading
June 5, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2016 – Shelved

Maureen Helen Love your review, Robyn. Interesting how everyone sees different things in Helen Garner's writing.