Kiki's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 05, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: ya, dystopian, could-have-been-worse, meh, lolwut, lost-the-will-to-live, choking-noises, will-read-the-next-one
Recommended to Kiki by: A robot
Recommended for: Robots

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

May 5, 2011 – Shelved
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: lost-the-will-to-live
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: lolwut
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: choking-noises
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: will-read-the-next-one

Alicia Would like to know what you think of this one. I hear a lot of good things through twitter and other blogs so that makes me nervous.

KJ Shadows i liked it. it might not be everyones cup of tea but the hero in this story actually is a nice change from like a lucinda price/bella swan character.

message 3: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa OMG you read it! Finally! Will this get more in-depth?

Kiki It sure will! I'm kind of digesting it, so I'll probably fix this up tomorrow.

message 5: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely I just finished the book and your review is the one that is nearest to mine! I thought the book is s...

Maggie I'm reading this right now and wondering if I should even continue...

message 7: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Maggie wrote: "I'm reading this right now and wondering if I should even continue..."

The climax is pretty exciting, if a little plot-holey in places. If you're enjoying it you might as well finish it. But if you're hating it you may as well not force yourself.

Maggie Lissa wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I'm reading this right now and wondering if I should even continue..."

Thanks for the feedback! I neither like it nor hate it so far, so I'll consider finishing it. The main character actually hasn't irked me yet, but the dystopian world seems really unconvincing to me.

message 9: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Hey, I'm mentioned! Except you pretty much said what I said about a billionty time more eloquently.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

This book failed to connect with me in some way and I wasn't able to pinpoint it. I think your review may have nailed it for me. I never found it believable and maybe that's the problem. Even the strangest, most outlandish books should be somewhat believable. And I was never able to feel that way about Divergent. Well done. I gave it 4 stars because I still really liked it, but I didn't love it as so many others did.

Lexie Completely agree on the Al thing. (view spoiler) The improbability of the world was my biggest problem with this. It's the main reason I deducted a star; not only was there no explanation, but it was just completely implausible. Like, in Legend there is little-to-no explanation of how the world came to be, but you can see how it might happen. That's not the case with Divergent. Also, it just didn't feel like a five-star read, most likely because of the whole Tris-being-a-sociopath thing. I enjoyed reading it, but there wasn't any depth.

Alexa Totally agree with everything you said here (except regarding Tris, I found her really relatable, but that's probably because sometimes I'm a sociopath), but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't really thought too hard about Four when I first read it, but yeah, he is kind of not there. I wouldn't go so far as to compare them to Bella and Edward, but he does seem to serve the same purpose of allowing any teenage girl to supplant him with whatever high school fantasy she chooses.

Kelly Gah, finally! Lost in a sea of high reviews I can't understand, yours says just about everything I couldn't stop thinking about as I read this. Awesome (you, not the book). Also, congratulations on not being allergic to your cat! :D

Pamela I completely agree about Tris and her character not making much sense. I did enjoy this book, just for the action and the fact it didn't really get slow at any point. I kept wanting to read it and couldn't wait to see what happened next... but there were times where Tris annoyed the hell out of me. I didn't know why, but Kira I think you very eloquently explained what it was I didn't like about her. And yeah, Four didn't seem like a real person to me either. Their relationship seemed really forced and it never made sense to me.

Pickle Rick Couldn't agree with you more, Kira! And I love your little story in the beginning haha

message 16: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Calaby I loved Divergent - largely because I have a weird THING for categorising people into groups as a result of too much Harry Potter in my life - but you've just managed to successfully elucidate what it was that bugged me when it came to Tris - which is more than I could do ;)

PS: I put up with bad allergies all the time because I refuse to live without pets :)

Winnie kira, i like ur review. tris is cold!

message 18: by Helene (new)

Helene Thank you so much for this review/warning! After reading The Hunger Games (typical, I know), I decided to give other YA dystopian fiction a shot and it's all been disappointing, largely due to poor writing and ridiculously implausible world-building. When I read about a dystopia, I want to know how it got that way, what's happening in the rest of the world, what's keeping people from rebelling (apart from this being book one in a trilogy). What I don't want to know is how Boring Love Interest's hair smells.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Even though I voted this 4 stars (I thought Roth had strong writing and I liked Caleb and Tris), I agree w/your review. I was disappointed with the random religious mentions as well and I was very disappointed when I guessed Four's real name on page 2. They mention a random kid with my fave boy name ever and I take a JOKING gander that that's Four's real name and oh, 400 pages later it is... I also was disappointed with the (view spoiler) ending. I mean why is it special that Tris is a Divergent? let's be honest...no one fits into "one categorical box" (Candor, etc) - its not human to be that way..

message 20: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Oh, you know. The usual. Still chewing on my hair while I sleep.

message 21: by Anna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna I also realy hated Tris i know you are not a fan of HG but even compering her to Katniss , Katniss did evrything for her family Tris not so much, and what irket me the most was how , she kept going on how selfless she was when i hardly saw any acts of selflessnes . And SPOILER. Moments with Al and Will market her as a huge bitch in my book. I dont know if you tried it yet please read Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness.

Charlotte Did you also notice that this book has the Mockingjay pin on its cover?

Zero vi Britannia I'm only on page 113 and this book is starting to annoy me.

message 24: by Celofán (new)

Celofán God, I was planning on reading this. A friend of mine keeps telling me to do it. But now that I have read your review, I think I will pass. Thanks for saving me all the suffering!

message 25: by JjJlJr (new)

JjJlJr I know I'm going to sound retarded here but when you say past tense and present tense, do you mean something like this:
Past tense: As her breath slowed she thought to her self...
Present tense: Her breath was slowing. her thoughts dimming. She was thinking....

message 26: by Kiki (last edited Oct 30, 2012 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Sarah wrote: "I know I'm going to sound retarded here but when you say past tense and present tense, do you mean something like this:
Past tense: As her breath slowed she thought to her self...
Present tense: He..."

You've got the right idea, but your examples are both past tense. "Was" and "slowed" are generally used as past participles. That sentence in present tense would be:

"Her breath is slowing, her thoughts dimming. She is thinking to herself, wondering why Jensen Ackles isn't her husband. Why is that? she wonders."

That's present tense.

Zero vi Britannia Charlotte wrote: "Did you also notice that this book has the Mockingjay pin on its cover?"

I did...real subtle.

message 28: by Aura (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aura I actually think Tris wanting to join Dauntless was pretty understandable. I know many people who have been brought up in loving, caring homes, with very strict parents and boundaries and they yearned for something more rebellious......some people just don't know how good they have it and the human mind is a curious creature, other than that I agree with some of the other things you said, but I really liked this book.

Letsreadmore I thought this book was so good. it is a shame you did not like it :(

kirstin ✿ OMG. Kira, very very well said!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Aura wrote: "I actually think Tris wanting to join Dauntless was pretty understandable. I know many people who have been brought up in loving, caring homes, with very strict parents and boundaries and they year..."

I agree, Aura. In life I have observed what happens when children are brought up in loving, well meaning but very strict homes- they go dauntless for sure.

However, this post was so well thought out and I agree with some of the points.

Swiftsea explains why they eat canned food

message 33: by Blaire (new)

Blaire After getting through three paragraphs about your allergies & cat, I finally just skipped to the bottom to read the short final paragraph which told me whether or not you liked the book.

Azzurra Mariottini While reading this review, I started questioning the 4 stars I gave to the book.
You do have some strong points, Kira.
Sure, Divergent was so thrilling I couldn't stop reading it, but I also thought some things didn't feel right - mainly the love story and how we got to the Faction-based Chicago (World?). I hope that at least the latter one will be explained in the sequels.
Personally, I consider Tris' behavior to be pretty plausible, given that the Abnegation members didn't show that much affection to each other.
Anyway, I honestly have to thank Tris. Her (probably exagerated) fearlessness showed me how weak I feel at the moment. I think I love Divergent because it got me thinking about myself.

message 35: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam Frost Thank you for this review. It describes all my qualms with the book more eloquently than I could have (primarily the completely arbitrary and predictable romance).

message 36: by Amber (new) - rated it 1 star

Amber I have to say, I love your little anecdote in the beginning. It's so personal and enjoyable. I love how you connected how much you love your cat to the (huge) problem in "Divergent." That is what's missing in the book: connection. Nice work!

Lauren I love your story about the cat. I don't think it's weird to suffer through an allergy for your animals, though- if I was allergic to dogs, I would take some meds probably but I would definitely keep my babies!

And I totally agree with, well, pretty much everything you said, but especially the part about the factions only having one virtue. And the religion aspect, which bugged me through the entire book.

All in all though, I still liked it as a "guilty pleasure" sort of read. Not the best dystopia, not by a long shot...

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to disagree with your opinion on Tris. She didn't join Dauntless because she wanted to look as cool as the kids who jump off the train, she joined Dauntless because they they could give her a sense of freedom, something she didn't have in Abnegation. In Abnegation, she couldn't talk during the dinner, wasn't allowed to look at the mirror, wasn't allowed many thing that for a free spirited girl like Tris must've been a hell; it's like keeping a lion in a cage. The same goes for her brother, who joined Erudite; he was hungry for knowledge, and they both needed a place where they could be themselves. Tris got annoyed by Al's crying because to her, that's weakness, and she hates that, and she hates that he acted all tough before that and then cried at night, that's what pisses her off, and she's nothing like that. She's Divergent, and she's supposed to have so many layers. And if you decide to pick up the next book, you'll see just how attached she is to her family, especially to her mother, so she's not a cold bitch

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you, Anita Glavan. You would see in Insurgent that Tris just broke apart.

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Great review, Kira. I couldn't stand Tris's soullessness in this book. She has like no depth. -.-

message 41: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Chen I agree on how many of this is unplausible, but I still really enjoyed this book. It's for entertainment, not for knowledge.

Abigail Ha, yes! This review was awesome.

Javiera Scarratt This review is perfect.

James I actually like this book but your review was amazing.

Laura Velderman the best book series i have read besides the hunger games and thebtwilight saga

message 46: by Recreational (new) - added it

Recreational Vehicle I agree that the teenagers (or let's face it, people) in this book are a little far-fetched. I mean who calls people 'sissies' anymore? You'd think, in the future, mankind/womankind would think of better insults.

Abigail yes, thank you. i despised this book.

Clair It's amazing how the films are still being released... even though the cast don't seem to care that much about them, let alone the general public!

message 50: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Vanessa, did you see Allegiant? It was terrible. so bloated and unnecessary. why they felt the need to split the last book into 2 movies is beyond me (well, I guess it makes more $$$). but it was such a slow and pointless movie. I actually quite enjoyed the first one, and the insurgent movie was pretty good, but they have totally missed the mark with the latest one.

« previous 1