Erin's Reviews > Sizzling Sixteen

May 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance
Read in January, 2010

Janet Evanovich strikes again. I’d almost say strikes out, but the book was actually pretty good (for Evanovich). She’s certainly not at the height of literary prowess, but her stories are fun to read, and her heroine Stephanie Plum is great. She’s silly, sexy, a little clumsy, and basically what any woman can identify with. Also, she’s got two really hot men in her life, and that of course does help sell books.

So you might ask, if I enjoyed the read (and I totally did, finished in under 3 hours), then why the strike out?

I’d try to explain, but there’s too much to tell, so I’ll sum it up. Books 1-4: waiting to see if Stephanie gets together with Joe (the sexy cop). Books 6-8: waiting to see if Stephanie will get together with Ranger (the bad ass ex-special forces guy). Books 9-now (#16) waiting for her to fracking choose already! Yep, that’s right this series has gone seven books without any movement forward or backwards on the Babe vs. Cupcake front (those are the guys’ nicknames for Stephanie). And it drives me bonkers. I want something to happen. Frankly I don’t care which guy she chooses (though I do prefer Ranger), just so long as the plot of the series can finally move forward. Yes I know stalling sells books, but it also makes for cranky readers.

And I’m not sure Evanovich is a good enough writer to keep me coming back for more. (At least maybe not after the next book, due out this winter).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sizzling Sixteen.