Kelly's Reviews > The Butterfly Garden

The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison

bookshelves: audiobook, read-in-2016, reviewed

-- 4.5 stars --

(Obvious trigger warning for violence, including rape.)

Given the synopsis, I worried that the inevitable surprise twist ending would be victim blamey and encourage the myth that women frequently lie about rape. Thankfully this isn't the case. (Said twist is maybe a little improbable, but then aren't they usually in books like this?)

I found the rest of the story compelling and suspenseful (even if my affinity for tales of brutalized women has me feeling more than a little icky inside; maybe I'm just willing to put up with the bad stuff for the promise of a roaring rampage of revenge?), and I enjoyed the dual narrators in the audiobook version. While it's true that Inara/Maya is a little too eloquent in the off-the-cuff interviews, I found that once I actively let go of that gripe, I got into the groove of the narrative well enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly Garden.

June 4, 2016 – Started Reading
June 4, 2016 – Shelved
June 4, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobook
June 4, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
June 5, 2016 –
4.0% "I'm having trouble envisioning the layout of this place."
June 5, 2016 –
5.0% "Edison has zero business interacting with victims on any level. Also he seems borderline incompetent, at least where interrogations are concerned."
June 7, 2016 –
29.0% "**making copious jerkoff gestures in response to the gardener's grief**"
June 8, 2016 –
77.0% "Desmond is the fucking worst.\n http://www.gifwave.com/media/55983_wo..."
June 10, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed