Romancing the Book's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

May 05, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, audio
Read in April, 2011

As a long time fan of Moning's Highlander series, I was excited to start her new venture. While I was slightly disappointed that it was not a "romance" per se, the story itself more than makes up for it.

In Darkfever, we're introduced to Mac and Jericho and the whole paranormal work Mac tumbles into when she arrives in Ireland to look into her sister's death. Everything Mac ever believed in is completely thrown out the window as she follows the clues her sister left her. And while in her investigation, she meets Jericho who is the first person who is really able to give Mac answers... and ends up being a mentor of sorts.

I'll admit that I have mixed feeling about Mac... and hope that as the series progresses she "matures". I listened to this book, so it's possible that part of my prejudice regarding her could be due to how the reader of the audio book portrayed her. I felt at times she was just a little too whiny and self-centered. (And the reader's accent tended to grate on my nerves from time to time.) But I tend to forgive this whininess due to the circumstances Mac found herself in. Who among us wouldn't be if we were found in the same boat?

As for Jericho, he's a total mystery to me. He's another character that I can't wait to see how he evolves as the series goes on. He's so cold and remote, yet takes Mac under his wing, albeit reluctantly.

Moning as created an interesting world. She's built upon the "fairy" lore she used in her Highlander series and then dumped the reader right into a growing war between the paranormal world and those attempting to stop them from encroaching into the human realm.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

03/12 marked as: read