Rikki's Reviews > Midnight Lily

Midnight Lily by Mia Sheridan

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction

** spoiler alert ** I never thought I would one day feel betrayed by a writer. Until now I was of the opinion a writer could do whatever they wanted with their story as it is theirs. After reading Midnight Lily I feel different. The whole premise of the book, the whole synopsis is false. If I had known what I was getting into I would have stayed clear of it.

If I am told that a book is about a drug addled, off the rails quarterback detoxing, I want just that, no matter where the story goes with that character or where he ends up. Unfortunately after 52% the hero as we knew him disappeared and was replaced. I wasn't really fine with that but went on anyway. At about 95% or so a second twist came along that was just too much for me. Sorry, I am NOT interested in the combined make believe world of two mentally ill people (the concept of which in itself was completely ludicrous).

The first half of the book was absolutely great, the writing romantic and the story had a fairy tale quality. The second half up to the second twist was ok, but I didn't enjoy it as much. The end ruined the book for me completely. How anyone can call this book a contemporary romance and give it 5 stars I have no idea. Is this suppsed to be NA? If it is, all I can say that had I read this book as a new adult I would have been seriously disturbed by it. As it is now I am just annoyed and will move on as quickly as possible. The couple of books by Mia Sheridan I have still lined up to be read will be put on the backburner for now.

Afterthought: If you need a FB group to explain what happened in your book and inform people about what is what, who is who and what is real, then you have done something wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Lily.

June 4, 2016 – Started Reading
June 4, 2016 – Shelved
June 5, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 27, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Rejane (new)

Rejane Your afterthought is just perfect. If you need to explain your book then you're confirming you made a mess.