Annmarie's Reviews > Homemade Soda

1964916
May 05, 2011

bookshelves: cooking, nonfiction, beverages
Read from May 05 to June 26, 2011

This one's definitely on my to-buy list, as a print book. Perfect for summer especially; make your beverage after hitting the farmers market for the freshest fruit or other ingredients. From the colorful, slightly retro fun illustrations and photos to the wildly varied recipes, it's very enticing. The book begins with the highlights of the history of carbonation and soda and the history bits mixed in are pretty interesting. Then it covers three kinds of soda making: 1.) make your syrup with your fruits, herbs, honey or sugar etc., and simply combine the syrup with a bottle of store-bought seltzer water; 2.) do the same but use a carbonation charger such as Sodastream; 3.) or ferment your own beverage (the most complicated).

Recipe types that really caught my interest were the sparkling waters (lightly flavored), fruit sodas, herbal sodas, sparkling coffees and chocolate, and vinegar/fruit drinks like shrubs and switchels. These are the kind of specfic recipes that totally intrigued me: sparkling rose water, chocolate mint sparkling water, blueberry cinnamon soda, orange crush soda with actual oranges, coffee chocolate stout bee (nonalcoholic), orange rosemary crush herbal soda, vanilla pear shrub, etc etc! It covers more typical sodas too, like cola, root beer, cream soda, kombucha, etc., and at the end, recipes for cooking with soda, including desserts.
I received the ebook courtesy of the publisher (Storey) and Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homemade Soda.