Bookwormgirl's Reviews > Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy

Naked City by Ellen Datlow

May 05, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, five-star-books

With 20 authors contributing to this anthology, I have decided not to break it down by each story. My review would then be endless and y'all would just get bored reading it. Instead, I'll tell you that this is an outstanding collection of short stories that showcases some of the many faces of urban fantasy. From Horror to Faeries, a Wizard Detective, and the Troll of Seattle, you will find something you like in this collection.

My favorites are the following (in order of appearance):

1. Curses by Jim Butcher
6. The Bricks of Gelecek by Matthew Kressel
7. The Way Station by Nathan Ballingrud
8. Guns for the Dead by Melissa Marr
9. King Pole, Gallows Pole, Bottle Tree by Elizabeth Bear

The other eleven stories are good, but to me, these just stood out as great examples of what a short story should be (a glimpse in a character's life, one theme explored; in short the modern fairy tale). With so many to choose from, I am sure there will be those who disagree with me on which stories are their favorites. But that is the beauty of this collection, it’s all good and there is something for everyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked City.

May 5, 2011 – Shelved
May 5, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
July 5, 2011 – Started Reading
July 5, 2011 –
61.0% "So far I am blown away by the writing. So many great reading gems. And the troll, man you gotta love Seattle's Troll."
July 5, 2011 –
97.0% "Each story has been good. I've liked them all, but some are just outstanding. Only one more to go."
July 5, 2011 – Shelved as: five-star-books
July 5, 2011 – Finished Reading

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I need to get this one!

Bookwormgirl It was really good! I had such a crappy morning at work (started at 5am and I was so glad to leave by 10:30 am)that this was like eating chocolate, instant feel good!