Heidi's Reviews > The Wedding Bees: A Novel of Honey, Love, and Manners

The Wedding Bees by Sarah-Kate Lynch

bookshelves: book-club-books

I don’t know what it is about honey bees but I love stories with honey bees as characters. This one was no different. I liked how the queen bee is given a name and a personality but found the few passages from her point of view a little disappointing. I would have liked to have been left to intuit her thoughts for myself and only seen her actions as she led the bees. It would have added more to the conflict. As it was I wasn’t overly concerned about Sugar’s bee dilemma because Elizabeth the Sixth told me how it was going to work out.
That being said it was still a sweet and lighthearted summer read and I did enjoy it. The neighbors are quirky and fun. I would have liked to see them develop more and less of the past with Grady which could have been summarized a little more succinctly. I laughed several times as I read about “the Crankles” and their antics. I also liked how the ending was not the overdone fairy tale happily ever after. The anorexic still struggles but is slowly getting better with help rather than being miraculously cured overnight. The shy baker is still shy and the balloons are still not selling like hotcakes but everyone is moving forward and happier for it. It feels like real life which makes it more appealing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Bees.

June 3, 2016 – Shelved