Kristen's Reviews > Sisters

May 04, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: romance
Recommended for: No one!

** spoiler alert ** This was the first Danielle Steel book I ever picked up. I saw a couple of copies of it at a library book sale and suggested to my best friend that it might be fun as a little joint reading project. Had it not been for that project, I probably wouldn't have finished this book. I certainly won't picked up another DS novel anytime soon, if ever.

Number one, Steel repeats herself a lot, which got annoying pretty quickly. I get that romance novels are the stereotypical beach read, but really. If you can't retain simple details from one page to the next, there's a problem. Her writing style as a whole just struck me as very juvenile.

And the main characters - the sisters, obviously - were too perfect. They were all beautiful and successful. Even the "starving artist" sister was living in Italy, with her parents footing the bill. Then you've got a supermodel, divorce attorney, and TV producer. Each endured their own tragedy over the course of the book - which took place over a year - and they all seemed to recover almost overnight. This was in addition to losing their mother. While I'm all for happy endings, I prefer them to be at least a tad bit believable (and/or relatable), which this book was not.

Oh, and I can't go without mentioning their father, who appeared to be a throwaway character in the beginning of the book, but may have ended up being the most disappointing character of all. He predictably loses his mind after his wife of 35 years dies in a car accident, and then refuses to visit the daughter (who goes blind as a result of the same accident) in the hospital. At all.

That's not even the worst part, though. He ends up marrying a woman that's older than three of his daughters, only seven months after losing the wife that he was so madly in love with. Now that's classy.

The basic storyline might have worked, had it been given to another author. In Danielle Steel's hands, it turned to dust. It makes me wonder how she's so successful. Surely all her books can't be this bad.. right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters.

May 4, 2011 – Shelved
May 4, 2011 –
page 29
6.47% "A reading "project" with the best friend. :) So far, it's pretty fluffy. And I'm noticing that Danielle Steel repeats herself a lot. "She realized how lucky she was to have parents who supported her passion," then two pages later, "She was well aware of and deeply grateful for the blessing they provided her." if anything, this will be a pretty brainless read."
May 5, 2011 – Started Reading
May 13, 2011 –
page 61
13.62% "This book is so realistic. /sarcasm Four sisters who are all painstakingly beautiful and ridiculously successful? Only in the world of fiction."
June 1, 2011 –
page 194
43.3% "I don't think I would be reading this book if it weren't for my best friend. Really, why does it matter that one of the sisters keeps wearing see-through shirts, after the tragedies they've all faced? She keeps focusing on all these details that are so unimportant. And did I mention that she repeats herself a lot? 'cause she does. A LOT."
June 2, 2011 –