Emily (theBookishLounge)'s Reviews > The Reflections of Queen Snow White

The Reflections of Queen Snow White by David   Meredith

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: adult, fantasy

A short but heavy read. This book deals with some issues themes like depression, suicide and abuse and it was a bit hard to read sometimes so it's definitely aimed at an mature audience. However, I congratulate the author for taking a new outlook on the life of Snow White, delving into the areas of her life that were perhaps brushed over in the light fairytale versions of this story. This story begins many years after Snow White's supposed "happily ever after" with Charming, and not to be cliché but everything has changed.

I really liked the structure of this book and changes between the retrospective and present narration. This allowed us to see how Snow White becomes the person, depressed and lonely. There are some really interesting perspectives explored in this book about the suppression of fear and confronting the past. It was really heartbreaking seeing her poor treatment and abuse received throughout her childhood, and her naive responses. It really was an emotional journey seeing her development but then her somewhat mental deterioration as she is unable to fully fulfil her duties and detachment with her daughter.

However, I was unable to fully connect with the characters, especially Snow White. I found her behaviour childish and selfish a lot of the time, making it less enjoyable. I would have liked to know the other characters more, even extending the length of this book. The stepmother is an interesting character I would have liked to know more as well as Charming. I felt he was depicted too perfectly - he had no flaws at all. I felt the ending was rushed and I was left a bit unsatisfied with it. It was a bit too fortunately resolved. An overall interesting and emotional read, however I couldn't relate to the characters as much as I would have liked.

* Disclaimer: I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reflections of Queen Snow White.

June 2, 2016 – Shelved