J.S. Dunn's Reviews > The Sacred River

The Sacred River by Wendy Wallace

U 50x66

, 3.5 / 4 stars. Thin on atmosphere, so that at times the reader is gasping like the asthmatic daughter, Harriet. Could have used more zeitgeist as to the troubles causing unrest in Egypt at the time, specifically 1882. Until the final 20 pages, the story is devoid of details setting up civil unrest except for oblique references to poverty. If it is deliberate on the author's part to make the mother, Louisa, and her daughter Harriet oblivious to the culture around them, then a fine job has been done indeed. Only the aunt, Yael, comes to see what's up and for her perceptiveness she is killed: a highly probable outcome.

[ More foundation is needed esp. so the 1882 isssues would not be conflated with today's troubles ---for which error one would be accused of 'racism' or being white or Western or something really awful; for not being able to figure out one troubled era from the next troubled era in a chronically troubled region of the world,

as if we in the West ( who already had flush toilets and electricity by that date and to this day) must all stay tuned in nonstop to their nonstop troubles rather than mind our own. And for either assisting or not assisting with their troubles, we will be attacked and vilified. ---But I digress. ]

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sacred River.

Started Reading