Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > Between You and Me

Between You and Me by Lisa    Hall

it was ok
bookshelves: 2-stars, 2017, kindle-books

Buddy read with Janel from Keeper of Pages!

I hadn't seen too much about this book before going into it, other than a few bloggers claiming it as "the book with the best plot twist of 2016", so I was half expecting big things, and half not expecting much at all. It's safe to say that I'm disappointed. I saw the "plot twist" coming from a mile off. (view spoiler) there is actually a point in the novel where Hall makes it really easy to work out the ending... (view spoiler)

In terms of storyline, this book is nothing special. This is a story about domestic abuse, and yes, it's been done before but that's not really my issue. My issue is that the only plot point was the abuse... it's tough to read about, but after a while, the same cycle of abuse gets boring. There was a small sub-plot to do with Charlie's work as a lawyer, but that came and went within a flash (and was also just a predictable as the main plot twist). The only real exciting bit happens within the last couple of pages - it's not one of those books that build and build - it's all nothing and then it's all something and then it's all finished.

One thing that really got on my nerves, in terms of writing and structure, was the repetition of chapters. Occasionally through the novel, we'd be presented something from Charlie's eyes, only to be repeated almost word for word, through Sal's eyes. This didn't happen for every chapter, but there several that were complete rehashing of the last.

The writing in this novel is pretty simple. It's not one of those psychological thrillers that are beautiful haunting or menacing. It's just what it is. But, that then makes this a really easy book to get through, you'll find yourself having read the whole thing before you know it! I would maybe recommend this as a holiday read.

I think I had too many expectations going into this one. Although I think the plot twist was silly and predictable, I didn't hate the book, and so maybe if I had gone into it thinking it as going to just be another easy-read thriller, I would have been a bit kinder in my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between You and Me.

June 2, 2016 – Shelved
June 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 8, 2017 – Started Reading
June 8, 2017 –
18.0% "Desperately trying to work out what the twist could be lol"
June 8, 2017 –
34.0% "I'm enjoying this but I don't like how each chapter repeats events through either Sal or Charlie's eyes - it's annoying"
June 9, 2017 –
79.0% "Ooooo"
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-stars
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: kindle-books
June 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Annie LOL I NEVER would've gussed it. DM me on Twitter and tell me how you did it please xD

message 2: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Keeper of Pages. That is cool.