Ellie McKee's Reviews > Goose Eggs And Hoover Bags

Goose Eggs And Hoover Bags by Dawn Cairns

it was ok

When my partner's mother lent me this book I was really dubious. With a bright pink cover and silly title, it didn't seem like my thing at all, but it was written by a local author and I didn't want to disappoint the M.I.L., so I thought I'd give it a go.
I was pleasantly surprised by the first 150 pages - the characters and plot were engaging - and I was interested to see what the rest was like, even though the "stolen diamonds, attempted kidnapping, and unsolved murder" the back of the book promised didn't sound appealing at all. With such nice slice-of-life realism going, why would you need to switch things up into a completely different book?
As it happens, I never found out. One throw away line (followed up by a typo on the next page) ruined the whole experience for me. Homophobia so casually thrown in for no reason at all.
It wasn't like the previous instances which, although not particularly fun to read either, at least made sense within the plot.
"Maggie had been the first person Alice had shown round. Over the weekend she had had a lesbian couple who wanted to retire to the sea. No, thank you very much."
Bigotry for the sake of bigotry? No, thank you very much. I'll move on to something a bit more progressive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goose Eggs And Hoover Bags.

June 2, 2016 – Started Reading