Doichin Cholakov's Reviews > Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future

Rise of the Robots by Martin Ford

did not like it

With the Swiss Referendum on the universal basic income coming in three days you might be interested in the intellectual undercurrents that made the idea so widely popular lately.

This book actually is a good point to start. It is atrociously primitive in terms of both style and quality of the research, but seems to powerfully strike a chord and has collected a good amount of raving reviews and distinctions. The argument goes like that - since when we open the whatever media we are reading we see more and more instances of machines taking over human jobs, soon human labor will not be a real production factor, so there will be no remuneration for the vast majority of people and since the 1%ers, owning the capital, can actually never spend as much as all the population so the economy will just stall. In order to prevent this we should encourage demand by giving money directly to the people. Then it adds several layers of sophistication which actually are as intellectually refreshing as a high school level essay on the topic but, sadly lacking the enthusiasm of the genre.

If you are interested in technology trends, you can be much better served by say The Technology Quarterly of The Economist. In terms of social theory - basically by any other analyst. And yet it is a timely book to read if you want to have a grasp of the doomsday logic that fuels the debate. This cannot be recreated by a serious researcher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise of the Robots.

Finished Reading