Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > How to Love

How to Love by Katie Cotugno

bookshelves: love-love-love, physically-owned-books, young-adult, contemporary, reality-bites, unexpectedly-good
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Marla Mei

This book sucks big time! It made me say the words “dumb” and “stupid” in several places and several times. It made me shake my head so hard, it felt like it was going to come off. It broke my heart. It made me shed tears and in the end it made me grin-this goofy grin. And that’s why it sucks because it made me feel all these emotions I wasn’t planning on feeling and in my vocabulary, when a book does that to you, it’s definitely good!

I know you probably peg me for an angsty reader and you probably think that I should change my GR name into Aj the Angsty Reader but there is a limit to the level of angst I could take on. If it’s too much, you know I’d give up my principle and dnf it without second thought. This debut novel however, has just the exact amount of angst to make it realistic and plausible, to make the reader empathize with the characters and their problematic situations.

I wouldn’t delve too much into the plot of the story because I’d like for you to go in the book blind and go with it as it flows. One thing’s for sure though, the writer has this easy way of luring you into her writing and into her characters making it hard for you to put down the book. I read it in one day, actually. The narrative shifts between a “Before” and an “After” and I was equally hooked by both narratives. Even though I disagree with a lot of the MC's actions and choices, this is such an addictive and intriguing read and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Love.

June 1, 2016 – Started Reading
June 5, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
June 5, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 7, 2019 – Shelved as: reality-bites
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: unexpectedly-good

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Jun 05, 2016 11:10PM) (new) - added it

Jenny Adorable review, Aj!:) Lmao, 'Aj the Angsty Reader' cracked me up! :P Looks like a really interesting book, adding it :)

message 2: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Great review, my angsty friend! ;)

message 3: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Awesome review AJ :-)

message 4: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha Aj the angsty reader!? Lmao, But we have to agree to disagree here. You and angsty?NAH...
Awesome review as always! ^^

Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog I've been eyeing this at the book store for weeks now, and your review has sealed its fate. I'm going to buy it haha love your review, AJ!

Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ Angsty awesome review, Angsty-J ;)

message 7: by Mathu (new)

Mathu Fab review Aj:))

Books are TARDIS Aj the Angsty Reader Bahahaha.. I'm going to strike out angsty and replace it with awesome (^^,)
Love the review btw :)

message 9: by bea (new)

bea Great review!I'm putting it on my tbr :-)

Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ Agree with Ayesha and Fai.. I am gonna stick with AJ the incredible reader!! ♥♥

Marla Mei Yes to all that you said, Aj. I'm so happy you loved this too! :)

message 12: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy Argh, Ading AJ, I'm already reading Then and Always because of your intriguing review, and now you're making me want to put this on hold immediately, too! Your reviews suck in the same way this book did. :D

message 13: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Very happy you enjoyed! I guess this book was the best kind of "book sucks".

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) I've had this one on my shelf for far too long. It was already on my shelf when I read 99 Days by Cotugno and I loved it (even though most people hated it). Seeing your wonderful review reminds me that I want to pick it up and soon!

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Great review Aj! I'm glad this book had just the right amount of angst! :D <3

Neil (or bleed) Lovely and convincing review, Aj. :)

message 17: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Great review AJ :) looks like a great book!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Jenny: Thank you so much, sweetie. Lol.

Ate Jilly: Thank you, my coolest Ate. <3

Fai: You ARE awesome, my friend. <3 <3 <3

Bea: Thank you, Bea.<3

Adita: Lol! You guys are too kind! Thank you so much. <3

Marla: Yay! Thank you, Marla babes. <3

Ate Holly: Lol! Our reviews accomplish the same thing on each other. Haha. Thanks so much for your motivating words, Ate. <3

Tamara: Yes, exactly, Tammy. Thanks you so much. <3

Ate Tanya: Oh I think you’ll like this too, Ate Tanya. I was going to buy 99 days, already reserved it but the seller’s friend sold her copy to somebody else. I wanted to read it because I really liked this debut novel by the author. I guess that book and I aren’t meant to be just yet. Lol. Looking forward to your thoughts on this. <3

Ate Jennifer: Lol. I’m glad too, Ate. Thank you so much. <3

Neil: Thank you so much, my awesome pal! <3

Christina: Thank you so much, sweetie. I think it is! <3

message 19: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Awesomesauce review, AJ dear! I have this on my tbr, too but because of mixed reviews, I'm still considering it. But after reading your beautiful review I think I might be really reading this soon. :)) I love books with angst, too!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Aw, yay! Thank you so much, Pearly. I'm glad you're considering reading this. <3

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ OMG those damn books where we hate to love them!!!! I've had a ton of those lately!! Great review, dearest ♥

message 22: by Candace (new)

Candace Great review, Aj! :)

message 23: by Vani (new)

Vani Cute!!!!

message 24: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Awesome review, Aj ;)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Love this, Aj! Will definitely read this. ;)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Chelsea: Aw, thank you so much, Chelsea, dearest. <3

Candace, Vani and Kuya Alejandro: Thank you so much, my wonderful friends. <3

Sarah: Yay! You really should. hehe. Thank you so much. <3

message 27: by Deanna (new)

Deanna aww you are the cutest angsty reader ever!! The perfect mix :) Great review pretty one <3

message 28: by Councillor (new)

Councillor Amazing review, Aj! Always to great to be surprised by a book :)

message 29: by M.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.D. Melai i loved this book. i agree its a great read. :-)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Ate Deanna: Aw. You're too sweet, Ate Deanna. Thank you so much, gorgeous Ate. <3

Fabian: Thank you, Amazing Fabian. Indeed!^^

M.D.: Yay! High five!^6

message 31: by Pinky (new)

Pinky Great review!

message 32: by Donita (new)

Donita Luz The narratives you mentioned sounds interesting! :) Great review Aj! <3

message 33: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Great review, Ate AJ, :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Pinky: Thank you so much, sweetie. <3

Donita: They are, Donita. Thank you so much. <3

Beatrice: Thank you, Dear Bea. <3

message 35: by Alafiya (new)

Alafiya Angsty Aj, your review is very cute. :') Glad this book made you feel so much. <3

Aj the Ravenous Reader Hahaha, Alafiya! Thank you so much. You ARE very cute. <3 <3 <3

Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen Yeey! We both rate this book 4 stars! I love this book so much. We have the same feelings toward this book! ^___^ Lovely review, Ate!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Nicay: Yay! I'm glad we agree, Nicay. Miss you more! <3