Joi's Reviews > Don't You Cry

Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica

liked it

I read The Good Girl last year and thought I'd give Mary Kubica another shot since I enjoyed that one. This was was not as strong. It reads quickly, and keeps the reader interested by the alternating perspectives and the way information is revealed. But the 'substance' wasn't there.

This alternates perspectives between Quinn, whose roommate has mysteriously disappeared. And Alex- who I literally did not care and is really only there for background to set up the climax. Quinn's story was super compelling, and more of the quintessential mystery thriller. I'd give her story 4 stars. I wanted to know more about her roommate 'Saint Esther'- is she good, is she bad? There's a few twists and turns to make it interesting. Alex's story-not as much. I understand why it had to be there due to the ending. But man- it seemed unrelated until the last 20% of the book, and frankly I thought it was boring. His story gets maybe 1 1/2 stars.

There's a lot going on in this book. The characters that are cared about are well developed. All the side characters seemed pointless and thrown in there the be convenient. Ben, the pseudo friend-crush guy to Quinn seems pointless. (view spoiler) This booked seemed to be more about the revealing of information to form false or true senses of the characters.

It had an extremely climactic ending. I won't get to into things to avoid spoilers, but I had guessed the ending before it happened. Which made it a little disappointing. Altogether, I'd still read another Kubica because they're fun to read. But my expectations will be quite a bit lower next time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't You Cry.

June 1, 2016 – Shelved
June 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 15, 2016 – Started Reading
December 20, 2016 –
page 128
December 23, 2016 –
page 249
January 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ladyslott Same rating as me.