meredith's Reviews > Girl Walking Backwards

Girl Walking Backwards by Bett Williams

May 04, 2011

liked it
Read from May 04 to 07, 2011

hmmm, strange one. I liked this book well enough. But.
It was a slow slog for me, took me ages to read. So obviously it wasn't *that* great.
I think it was this: Bett Williams writes realllllly well. Beautifully even. But the storyline & characters were a bit petty, disguised as heavy.
Well, I suppose the issues were in a sense heavy, if you are a young adult reading this nice piece of young adult fiction.
If you're a grown woman who likes young adult fic and decide to give this book a go, you get a tad fed up at the wah-wah-wah, woe-is-me-, I'm-in-love-with-this-pretentious-alterna-teen-despite-knowing-her-for-five-minutes thing.

I found the mother-daughter relationship far more interesting than any of the homosexual coming of age, out of the closet schtuff. It was a bit heartbreaking to see the young Skye deal with the emotional abuse from her mother, and the general insanity of the household she inhabited.

Anyhoo. Nuff said. It was a decent read, but I reckon would be quite great if you were young, say, in high school.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Walking Backwards.

07/05 marked as: read