Etcetorize's Reviews > The Witch's Daughter

The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston

May 31, 2016

liked it

I picked up the audio version of this book because I had been reading a lot of cutesy mysteries featuring witches. I knew it would be a little heavier than what I had been reading, but this is really totally different. It's serious, and heavy, and dark.

I began to wonder if this book is supposed to be more of a thriller, which I don't normally read, but even the 'scariest' bits weren't all that frightening.

I think the premise of the book is interesting but I did have a few problems with some of the plot points. Some things seemed to drag on forever and then suddenly everything you could imagine would happen in the blink of an eye. And Bess, who is supposedly a witch beyond compare, rarely listened to her intuition and more than once was easily fooled by Gideon. It just didn't jive for me.

There are a couple of explicit scenes, one sexual and a couple more on the gore side, but that side of things doesn't feature too heavily.

Teagan was definitely not my favourite character. I struggle to understand Elizebth's (Bess's) attraction to her. She came across as your stereotypical, stroppy teen-anger with not much in her head. Elizabeth even says more than once that Teagan is immature. Why then would she choose Teagan of all people to share her knowledge with?

I'm on the fence with this book, but if you like a little mystery, a little fantasy, and a little time travel, then you'll probably enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch's Daughter.

May 31, 2016 – Started Reading