Robert's Reviews > The Dark Is Rising

The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper

it was ok

I read this many years ago, and liked it. When the movie came out (not a very good movie), I wondered what my 43-year-old self would think of my hazy memory of what my 14-year-old self had thought. Turns out my 14-year-old self wasn't much of a critic. The Dark is Rising was quite disappointing, making it all the more surprising that it won awards and stuff. I guess I can kind of see why--the writing is at least meant to seem deep. The fact that it has a literary style of any kind is a novelty, for the most part, in juvenile fiction, I suppose. A book written for young people but strewn with adjectives and adverbs and multi-clause sentences must be pretty serious stuff.

Anyway, the story was weak and had very little punch, and the premise, at least in how it was explained, had some troublingly racist (and heavily monarchist) overtones, what with noble white Brits having staved off waves of dark-skinned invaders for lo these many centuries, etc.

It's fun to go back and see, though, which favorite books from my youth hold up and which ones don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Is Rising.

Finished Reading