◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj 's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

May 03, 2011

bookshelves: covers-to-die-for, own, favorites, books-i-fell-hard-for, kickass-protagonists
Read from November 23 to 26, 2011

I've been a fan of Tahereh Mafi before I even read her novel. I follow her blog and her tumblr and learned a lot about her. She is just an awesome, hilarious person. So my excitement to read her first novel just increased.

This. Book. Was. Awesome. The whole concept of Juliette killing people just by her touch was thrilling. When I started reading, I was like "Ok, she can kill people by her touch, cool." But I guess I didn't really understand the real consequences of this. Because it was actually much more serious. The story was just full of action and awesome characters. It was so good! I also loved Tahereh's writing. It's very melodic. It flows nicely. I especially loved the crossed out sentences because it was so different than the other writings I've read. As for the dystopian world, it was pretty convincing. However, I felt that there wasn't enough information given about it. It all felt very hazy to me and at times I forgot that this was even set in the future until someone mentions it. I would have liked more details about the settings since it was hard for me to picture how the world looked now. But besides that, I loved this book immensely. Un-putdownable. If that's even a word.

And the romance? Man, does Tahereh know how to write them! This book was full of super sexy scenes that made me forget what the novel was even about and instead focus on Adam and Juliette. *fans self* Damn woman! I wanna go back and re-read some of those certain scenes now *heehee*.

Juliette is such a creative character. We've read about main female characters before who feel like they're a monster because of whatever unnatural powers they have. But Juliette's situation was a lot worse. I gotta admire her for holding her stand against The Reestablishment because I would have been scared to death. At times I felt like I was her myself. She would say something, then I'd think what I would say if I was in her situation, and she'd say that exact thing! Woah. Adam was another great character who surprised me multiple times. He was both tough and totally sweet. I totally LOVED Kenji! Oh my gosh, he was hilarious. Cocky, flirty, teasing, but a super awesome guy. XD Then there's Warner...who is totally creepy. Ugh. I found him SO unattractive. And I'm not talking about looks. In a way he reminded me of Adam Rosier from The Eternal Ones but Warner was delusional and 10 times more dangerous. And whacked out.

Overall, an awesome debut novel and a great start to a new series. I can't wait to read what happens next! The ending wasn't a cliffhanger or anything so I'm not sure what direction the second book will go, but I know it's gonna be awesome as well. =D

4.5/5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

Quotes ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I only know now that the scientists are wrong.

The world is flat.

I know because I was tossed right off the edge and I've been trying to hold on for 17 years. I've been trying to climb back up for 17 years but it's nearly impossible to beat gravity when no one is willing to give you a hand.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Hope is a pocket of possibility.
I'm holding it in my hand.”

Tahereh Mafi
“All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I've been screaming for years and no one has ever heard me.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Adam stares at me so long I begin to blush. He tips my chin up so I meet his eyes. Blue blue blue boring into me. His voice is deep, steady. "I don't think I've ever heard you laugh."

He's so excruciatingly correct I don't know how to respond except with the truth. My smile is tucked into a straight line. "Laughter comes from living." I shrug, try to sound indifferent. "I've never really been alive before.”

Tahereh Mafi
“His lips soften into a smile that cracks apart my spine. He repeats my name like the word amuses him. Entertains him. Delights him.

In seventeen years no one has said my name like that

“I have a curse.
MY TOUCH IS POWER.
I am their weapon.
I WILL FIGHT BACK.”

Tahereh Mafi
“He whispers, "You have no idea how much I've thought about you. How many times I've dreamt"-he takes a tight breath- "how many times I've dreamt about being this close to you." He moves to run a hand through his hair before he changes his mind. Looks down. Looks up. "God, Juliette, I'd follow you anywhere. You're the only good thing left in this world.”

Tahereh Mafi
“My voice softens. 'How old are you?'
'I'll be eleven next year.'
I grin. 'So you're ten years old?'
He crosses his arms. Frowns. 'I'll be twelve in two years.'
I think I already love this kid.”

11/23/2011 page 56
16.0% "Oh, Adam. Not you! D:"
11/24/2011 page 175
51.0% "0.0 Woah...probably one of the best make out scenes ever. HOT!"
11/25/2011 page 264
76.0% "This Warner dude is...creepy. *shudders*"

Eunice Oh my! You're reading this already?! *jelous* Aww, school's making me busy. Don't have much time reading. *sigh* LOL. Anyway, how's this book going? You liking it? ^^

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Yeah, I bought it the day it was released. Couldn't help myself! XP I'm not that far into it, but it's going good. Hope you get some time off to read!