Rouchswalwe's Reviews > The Queue

The Queue by Basma Abdel Aziz

There is a pivotal scene in which one of the characters describes the nothingness in which she finds herself. In a few pages, we are led into a directionless void, no scent, no texture, no communication. I found it terrifying. Together with the 6 documents we are presented with throughout the book, I was made to feel the horror and the tension these characters faced in this world. And I had to ask the question of how people are able to communicate with one another under such a faceless, burdensome power. The author writes of a mysterious government that gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "keeping people in line" through the eyes of several fascinating characters. The queue is long, but not orderly. No, the men and women jump forward if they can, leave, come back, live a sort of hazy life. Here in the queue, a kind of communication does takes place, in contrast to the silence of the Gate. Until the Violet Telecom becomes a player in the game.

If you expect answers reading this superb book, you won't find them. Questions. There are questions here, questions I found to be stimulating and very satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queue.

Finished Reading