Julie's Reviews > Sleepless in Manhattan

Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan

liked it

Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan is a 2016 HQN publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Romantic comedies! Who doesn’t love ‘Sleepless in Seattle’, or ‘When Harry Met Sally’?

This cute contemporary romance pays homage to the classics, while introducing us to a new series centered around best friends trying to start their own business in Manhattan.

This story places the spotlight on Paige, a vibrant young woman who survived a childhood riddled with illness and long hospital stays, due to a heart problem. Her condition caused her family to over protect her, especially her brother, Matt.

When Matt realizes Paige has a teenage crush on his best friend, Jake, he forbids Jake to act on it, so Paige makes the first move, with disastrous results.

Now, Paige is a confident career woman determined to make her own way without Matt or her parents, but she has never gotten over Jake, even though they constantly bicker and he goads her at every turn. But, when she loses her job, and decides to start her own business, Jake is the perfect person to ask for advice. so pushing her pride aside, Paige goes to Jake for help. Can she keep it on a professional level or will she finally seduce the man who has held her heart all this time?

Jake has done everything in his power to keep Paige at arm’s length, from breaking her teenage heart, to picking fights with her, but when she comes to him for help with her business, he finds his resolve melting away. But what about his promise to Matt?

I loved the quips that began each chapter and thought the idea of incorporating favorite romantic comedies into the story was a nice touch.

I don’t have a brother, but I know there is an unspoken rule about hitting on your best friend’s sister. This rule can cause a lot of heartache when a person has to give up the love of their life for the sake of their friendship.

In this case, Jake is not just trying to keep a promise to his best friend, he is also avoiding love at all cost, which is something he feels Paige deserves, so he tries to keep her at arm’s length. But is Jake’s nobility really a cloak for his own fear and cowardice?

The story has a lot of promise, but there were a few issues, such as the slow pacing, and lack of emotional connection between Jake and Paige. The story sagged a little here and there, and lost momentum a time or two, and with both characters working so hard to keep things fun and light without using any language suggesting commitment or love, it sucked the chemistry out of the relationship and failed to evoke any emotions from me. The conflict was flat and Jake’s reasoning, stemming from his mommy issues didn’t seem convincing to me.
His attitude improves a little as the story progresses, but his refusal to admit his love for Paige, even in his own mind or heart, kept me from warming up to him.

But, in true romantic comedy tradition, Jake redeems himself, which made it all worthwhile in the end.
This is a cute ode to romantic comedies, with some fun banter between friends, and a long overdue happy ever after, which is good enough for me.

3 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepless in Manhattan.

December 18, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
December 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
December 18, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance (Kindle Edition)
December 18, 2015 – Shelved as: harlequin (Kindle Edition)
December 18, 2015 – Shelved as: e-book (Kindle Edition)
December 18, 2015 – Shelved as: edelweiss-review (Kindle Edition)
May 29, 2016 – Started Reading