Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

One thing I have to appreciate about this story is its glaring reminder that is to NEVER EVER ENTER A SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP WHEN YOU’RE UNSURE OF YOURSELF and I know age isn’t always an indication of a person’s maturity but in this case and it’s most often, sixteen year olds are yet on their way to discovering who they are and like what I’ve already mentioned, when you’re 16, be 16. I don’t have to explain that further.^^

Truthfully speaking, I didn’t like the significant first half of the story AT ALL. I didn’t like Lola’s selfishness and indecisiveness and I hated that because of her uncertainties, she had to string along two perfectly great guys at the same time, thus creating the most terrible love triangle in the history of contemporary YA romance. I also hated this other guy’s character development. Why does he have to be a jerk in the end just to solve the main problem?

But just when I was ready to give this a final rating of two stars because I thought there was no possible way to resolve the conflict and give it a decent ending, somehow, the author still managed to do it. It was a relief that at least, Lola realizes all her flaws and fully admits to them and when she started to come to realize her faults, it’s when I started to enjoy the story. I especially liked that when Lola chooses to, she could show all these great qualities about herself like her creativity and cheerfulness. It was also cute to see a glimpse of Anna and Etienne’s relationship.

To sum it up, it was generally still a worthwhile, entertaining read and although several parts annoyed the heck out of me, there’s this truthfulness and honesty to the story that I couldn’t help appreciate.

P.S. Cricket is love. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Started Reading
May 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 29, 2016 – Shelved
May 29, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 29, 2016 – Shelved as: love-love-love
May 29, 2016 – Shelved as: physically-owned-books
May 29, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Kels (new)

Kels Awesome review, Aj dearest!! I can certainly appreciate a book that bring some truth serum in the world of romance to the readers.

message 2: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro I'm sorry that the book wasn't as good as you may expected. Good review.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review ate Aj! so great to hear your thoughts about this book :D are you planning to read the next book, Isla and the Happily Ever After? :)

message 4: by Tamara (new)

Tamara You are so correct Ate Aj! Maturity isn't defined by age, but defining yourself at such a young age is almost impossible. The future is a mystery, play today as today.

message 5: by Arch (new)

Arch Bala Ooh nice one boo! Ive almost forgot about this series! I ought to get back to it. Cricket the sport? ^_^

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Wonderful review, Aj! The first book was an okay read for me so I decided not to read the rest. But I am glad that you at least enjoyed this one! I :)

message 7: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Awesome review AJ :-)

message 8: by Henz (last edited May 30, 2016 05:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Henz Omg Lola and Cricket is my fave couple in this series ... LOL^^ they are so adorable together .. .. Fantasic review Aj !

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) I feel like I am the very last person who has not read any of the books from Stephanie Perkins. And as much as I love contemporaries you would think I'd be all over them. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one and why it received 3 stars from you. Can't wait to see what I think myself!

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice Well, at least it got a bit better toward the ending! hehe Great honest review <3

Pearl Angeli I really like this review of yours, AJ dear. Youngsters should learn from you and from this book. Hehe! I remember disliking Lola's character so much but yesss, Cricket is love! <3 Wonderful review, AJ dear! :))

message 12: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Great review, ading AJ! :)

message 13: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha Lol Great review! ^____^

Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm Lola and Cricket... hmmm I wanna read this! Beautiful review AJ :)

message 15: by Fabian {Councillor} (last edited May 31, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Fabian {Councillor} I'm not that interested in this novel, but your review is fantastic as usual, Aj! :) (I needed some time to figure out that Cricket is a character in this novel, because I thought you were referring to the sports and I was honestly stunned because I cannot find anything interesting in cricket as a sport :D)

Books are TARDIS Cricket is love. Indeed. I suspect this is the only reason why a younger me was in lurrve with this book. I wonder what I would have to say if I reread these books. Probably be as annoyed as you, hehe ;)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Love the frank review, Aj. :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Kelly: Thank you, Kelly dearest! <3 Aye, aye to your insights, my friend. <3

Kuya Alejandro: It was a good enough read though, Kuya. Thank you. :)

Miestory: Thank you so much, sweetie. I’m not really sure but maybe when I find myself a physical copy of the third book, I’ll surely read it. hehe.

Tammy: Ahhh. You are very wise, my dear little sister, wise beyond your years. Young people should learn from you. <3

Arch: Haha, thanks boo. Nah, Cricket the adorable boy next door. Teehee.

Jenny: Thank you so much, Jenny. I did at least enjoy this too. Hehe.

Aditi: Thank you so much, Dear Aditi. <3

Henz: Lol! Lola was just okay for me but I love Cricket. Hehe. Thank you so much, Henzy. <3

Ate Tanya: I think you’re going to enjoy these books, Ate Tanya. They’re not the best but they’re entertaining, quite adorable and somehow, eye-opening too. I look forward to what you think of these books. <3

Pearly: Haha, thank you so much, Pearly. What a nice thing to say. Hehe. <3

Ate Jilly and Ayesha: Thank you so much, awesome ladies. <3

Ate Claire: I think you’ll enjoy this, Ate. Thanks much. <3

Fabian: Yeah, I wouldn’t really recommend this to you, Fabian. It’s just not your kind of read. Sorry about creating confusion on that P.S. Cricket is definitely not the sports. I know nothing about that. Lol.

Fai: Haha. I did enjoy the last half of the book, Fai so it was still a good read and how could we refuse Cricket?! <3

Sarah: Lol! Thank you so much, sweetie. <3

message 19: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Maniacup Wow! You sure sounded like a school councilor,dear little sis,hehe..and I do agree with all your advices though I haven't read this one yet. Very wonderful review,dear sis!^^

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Truthfully speaking, I didn’t like the significant first half of the story AT ALL. I didn’t like Lola’s selfishness and indecisiveness and I hated that because of her uncertainties

AGREED. She is the reason for my bad rating-is what it is. *shrugs* Glad you found enjoyment, in the end! Great review, AJ Dear! ♥

message 21: by Donita (new)

Donita Luz I still haven't read this book but I kept seeing it everywhere! I admit that "most terrible love triangle in the history of contemporary YA romance" scared me. lol :) I'm glad you ended up liking it, :) Wonderful honest review Aj! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Ate Rachel: Bahaha. In High School, I used to dream of becoming a school counselor and then I grew up. Lol. Thank you so much, beautiful woman!

Chelsea: Yay! High five! Lol. Thank you so much, Sweet Chelsea. <3

Donita: Hahaha. No, don't be scared. You know I'm the Queen of Exaggeration. Haha. Thank you so much, sweetie. <3

message 23: by XxTainaxX (new)

XxTainaxX Great review. Enjoy your honesty. ;)

message 24: by Burn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Burn Cricket is love indeed.:)

message 25: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy I'm sorry this one was a bit of a stinker! But you came up with a great thoughtful review, Ading AJ.

message 26: by Tamara (new)

Tamara I am no wiser then you Ate Aj! But thank you <3 your words mean a lot to me.

Trixi #WATERFLAME Fabulous review Aj! ^^ Haven't been active recently, been rather busy with work. -.-

Mathu Great review Aj:)) I absolutely adore cricket<3

message 29: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, AJ :)

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Why do your reviews never show up on my feed!! :(
I'll just have to stick to searching for them cause they are always worth it. Miss you girlie

Aj the Ravenous Reader Taina:Thank you for the kind comments, Ms. Taina. <3

Cricket: Haha. Glad you agree, my friend.^^

Ate Holly: Just a bit, Ate Holly. Haha. Thank you so much. <3

Tamara: Aw, love you, Tammy. Haha

Angelina: Thank you, sweetie. I did notice. Perfectly understandable because I’ve been busy myself too. <3

Mathu: Thank you so much, Mathu. I’m glad we agree. <3

Ate Deanna: Thank you so much, Dear Ate Deanna. <3

Melissa: M! You remembered me! I missed you so much, girlie. I’m so sorry my reviews don’t appear on your feeds. Always happens. *Sighs* I hope you’re doing great and I appreciate you going over my reviews (again). Love and hugs. <3

Neil (or bleed) Great review, Aj! :D