Dannii Elle's Reviews > The Song Rising

The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon

bookshelves: fantastic-fabrications, science-fiction-sagacity

You can read my full review on United by Pop.

The progression of Paige’s character from the first book to the third has been a joy to witness. As a reader, I shared in her triumphs and her setbacks. Now, three books later, my happiness whilst reading this was so entwined with the protagonist’s to what could be termed, an unhealthy degree. Her grief became my own and there was a lot of it in this book!

The sheer amount of emotion that this book conveyed displayed Shannon’s skill at creating characters that could become beloved, no matter how briefly they were mentioned. For it was not just Paige who sought my affinity. Side characters, both new and old, battled for dominion over the reader’s heart. And, in true Shannon style, it was those with the cruellest pasts and the bleakest of futures that won.

With the onslaught of emotion that this book brought, it also delivered on the action front. This book sees Paige and her motley crew (not to be confused with Motley Crue) traverse Britain in an attempt to thwart the construction of the new technology that could eliminate them. Scrapes, scuffles, and strife thwarted their quest, and each skirmish was as pulse-raising and breath-taking as the next.

The most bone-chilling was saved for the finale, however. Former villains returned and some of them were de-masked to reveal something other than what they first appeared to be. One thing remained and that was that you can never rely on Shannon to deliver the expected!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song Rising.

May 29, 2016 – Shelved
May 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 9, 2017 – Started Reading
March 9, 2017 –
page 56
15.43% "I have a bad feeling about this..."
March 10, 2017 –
page 133
36.64% ""Today, we descend. Tomorrow, we rise!""
March 10, 2017 –
page 172
47.38% ""When you dream of change, it shines bright, like fire, and burns away all the rot that came before it.""
March 12, 2017 –
page 252
69.42% "I have been spending as long as possible reading this because it is JUST TOO GOOD AND I DON'T WANT IT TO END!"
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: fantastic-fabrications
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: science-fiction-sagacity
March 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel 12 months? I'm not 100% sure on this but I thought these came out every 2 years, not 1?

Dannii Elle Mel wrote: "12 months? I'm not 100% sure on this but I thought these came out every 2 years, not 1?"

I know there was a two year wait until the last book but this one is scheduled for 2018 according to Goodreads. Fingers crossed it is only a 12 month wait, anyway!