Kaci's Reviews > Forge

Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson

May 03, 2011

This is the second book in a series of three titled Seeds of America. Forge follows Curzon as he enlists in the Continental Army, is taken back by Mr. Bellingham, his "owner," and meets up with Isabel, who had run away from Curzon to find her sister Ruth but was captured and sold back into slavery. Laurie Halse Anderson is a genius. I love learning about how our country gained its freedom from Britain while also reading a very well-written and at times, poetic novel. The chapters that really stuck out to me were the ones that chronicled the brief moments when Curzon thought that Isabel had run away with Gideon and that he would never see her again. He said " My ribs crushed in around my heart until it burst." Also, "My heart was to sore to beat, my head felt flattened by a hammer, and my limbs so heavy that sitting up required an effort worthy of Hercules." In the context of what has been happening in their daily lives, this intense pain that Curzon is now feeling is unbearable. I wanted to jump into the book and comfort him! The condition that slaves and soldiers had to endure was horrid. I hated this book for dragging me through it, but loved it for the same reason. I cannot wait for the final installment of this trilogy, Ashes, set to come out in October of 2011.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forge.