Christie's Reviews > Occupied

Occupied by Joss Sheldon

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

This book broke my damn heart. It is an incredible look into the complexities of societal issues, particularly in regards to issues surrounding refugees, migrants, religious tension and the power that is controlled by money. We see this through the perspective of four different characters, Tamsin, Ellie, Arun, and Charlie. We get to know them during three different life stages, childhood, adolescence and adulthood. I definitely found the first two life stages to be my favourite to read, and the author did exceptionally well to demonstrate the innocence and optimism of childhood, and the rebellion and disillusionment of adolescence. I did find the adult stage, which was taking place in a dystopian future, to be a little too heavy handed with the message. I mean, I could see how it had progressed, but it didn't feel as honest as the first two stages. It is important to also state that there really isn't a happy ending here, so expect the gritty reality of a world based on our own and not a fairytale solution.
I actually think this book is something that should be read by everyone, as it shows different perspectives and how children become indoctrinated into the same hate and fear of their predecessors. It also discusses the manipulation of media and foreign power, that aims to keep the hatred in place between the Holies and the Godlies. If people are fighting each other, they can't fight the real puppeteers in society.
The influences that I could see in the book were vast, with callbacks to literature such as A Clockwork Orange, 1984, Animal Farm and various others. The influence of the Israeli and Palestinian conflict is undeniable, and it tries to be very respectful to the complexities of the situation.
This book made me cry and it left me a bit broken, but it was an absolutely fantastic read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Occupied.

May 28, 2016 – Shelved
May 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 25, 2016 – Started Reading
June 25, 2016 –
June 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Brittany Great review Christie. It also broke my heart and I agree that it needs to be read by more people. The stages of life were brilliantly sectioned off

message 2: by Yousef (new)

Yousef Ghanimeh he's a stinking hypocrite who support ethnic cleansing.