Teresa Lukey's Reviews > 22 Britannia Road

22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson

May 02, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, kept-me-wondering, made-me-cry, wow, 4-stars, wwii
Read from September 11 to 15, 2011

22 Britannia Road was most definitely a pleasant surprise for me. There are so many books out there relating to WWII and sometimes I think there can possibly be anymore to contemplate regarding WWII, but, again, this book has proven me wrong. The scope of people affected by WWII is hard to grasp, but definitely a reality.

In this story, a newlywed couple and there infant son are separated when Poland is invaded by German forces and must go to war to keep their country. Janusz, the father, is required to enlist in the army and leaves his new wife, Silvana, and son, Aurek, behind in Warsaw. Almost as soon as they couple are separated, they are affected by the war. Janusz's train suffers some sort of attack on the way out of the city and miraculously survives. Silvana's apartment is inhabited by a German soldier who rapes her and offers protection if she gets rid of her child and stays on as his maid.

Silvana manages to get out of the city and survives for several years in the forest, sometimes with groups of people and at other times it is just her and Aurek. During the same period Janusz lives alone for some time is a small cabin, until two other soldiers who have defected come across his cabin and warn him that enemy troops are near. Then ensues a long process of getting out of Poland through several "underground" means.

While Janusz and Silvana are doing there best to survive the war, they both suffer immensely and do things they would not have otherwise done. This book to me was not just about survival and putting a family back together when you have made it to the other side, but also about finding yourself and coming to terms with the atrocities of war. This book touches on some pretty tough topics, but it is most definitely a worthy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 22 Britannia Road.

09/12/2011 page 13 "This story is so painful and beautiful at the same time. I'm really liking it."
05/05/2016 marked as: read