Forest Tong's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Truly incredible. This book is an extraordinarily clear and engaging collection of insights into the way we think, in particular, our cognitive biases and incoherences. Some of the topics Kahneman discusses are heuristics the mind uses, desire for coherence and causality, utility of wealth, and perception of pain and pleasure.

My only objection to the author's exposition--and it is extremely minor--is that I felt he should not have half-heartedly attempted to provide evolutionary explanations to his observations. For example, when explaining loss aversion, Kahneman states "Organisms that treat threats as more urgent than opportunities have a better chance to survive and reproduce," without any further discussion. Not only is this statement unfounded, it is not sufficient to explain our loss aversion. I understand his motive of trying to provide a causal story (which, as he discusses, is something we all seek out), but it would have been better to treat evolutionary explanations separately or not at all.

Read this book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Started Reading
May 28, 2016 – Shelved
May 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Ramesh (new) - added it

Ramesh Abhiraman Indeed, the book is an engaging read. Our innate biases and unmathematical choices are a constant surprise to ourselves.