Loretta's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

May 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks
Read from May 02 to 06, 2011

This book is a collection of four long stories, or novellas. Two of those I would give four stars to; the other two I would give only two. So, the average is a three star, I guess.

1922 and A Good Marriage are the two stories I most enjoyed, although enjoyed is never quite the right word in talking about the experience of a Stephen King tale. They were dark, grim explorations of the bleakest side of human nature, but ultimately there was something satisfying and real about them.

Big Driver just irked me. Many would see it as a very satisfying tale of 'strong woman fights back', but my former life as a partipant in the justice system probably informs my strong bias against characters who take things into their own hands because they're scared of publicity. And I just didn't connect with Tess that much.

And Fair Extension was a morality tale but without a punchline, it seemed to me. I was actually angry when I realized it was over and thought I must be missing a track on the CD or something. But nope, there was the music that signalled the end of the story.

These stories are not anything like as compelling to me as King's earlier works of this kind. But the two best stories are still very worthwhile reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.