Celia's Reviews > The Chalet School and Barbara

The Chalet School and Barbara by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer

bookshelves: chalet-school, childrens, 2016-books, classics

In 2008 I started a big read / re-read of the entire Chalet School series (well, the ones I could get my hands on). I got tired of it part way through, and the last one I read was The Wrong Chalet School (book 24 in a 58 book series - well, depending on how you're numbering them). I've realised these are the perfect easy comfort-food books for reading in the middle of the night while feeding a baby, so I picked up the series with this, book number 30 (using the Wikipedia series numbering).

This is the first book after the school (or the main branch of the school) moves to Switzerland and is full of lovely descriptions of the beauty of the alps and little Swiss villages. It's a typical new girl story - Barbara, a girl who has been at home with her mother for her whole life because of her delicate health is well enough to go to school, settles in well, overcomes some minor setbacks, marvels at the beauty of Switzerland and participates in the Christmas play. A very classic CS story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalet School and Barbara.

May 28, 2016 – Started Reading