may ❀'s Reviews > Dumplin'

Dumplin' by Julie   Murphy

DNF @ 65%

What started off as beautiful body positive book. . .

description

I’m fat. It’s not a cuss word. It’s not an insult. At least it’s not when I say it. So I always figure why not get it out of the way?

and

I know that fat girls are supposed to be allergic to pools or whatever, but I love swimming… I know people stare, but they can’t blame me for wanting to cool off…What about having huge, bumpy thighs means that I need to apologize?

Slowly turned into…constant judgement ???!!??

I’m fat, but Millie’s the type of fat that requires elastic waist pants because they don’t make pants with buttons and zippers in her size. Her eyes are too close together and her nose pinches up at the end. She wears shirts with puppies and kittens and not in an ironic way.

Which ultimately turned into. . .

My Scientific Opinion: This place is a shithole and all the girls who work here are vapid skanks who treat me like El’s charity case friend.

And we got an open invitation to the Self-Pitying Party. . .

My illusions of our after-school romance are dissolving like vapor… I won’t be ridiculed. I won’t be one-half of the couple who everyone stares at and asks, //How did she get him?//

Omg a hot guy likes you??? But you don’t want him to like you in public??? You won’t even tell your best friend about him bc your jealous she’s making friends besides you ??? and then you blame it on the guy bc CLEARLY he’s at fault???

hmmmm

10/10 rational thinking going on here.

Also love triangle warning ahead. Not only is this fabulous girl able to score her smokin’ hot crush but one of the FOOTBALL players is also checking her out, is there ANYTHING this girl, CAN’T do??!!???

Anyways, it seems to be a good book but I have 0 energy to put up with the drama that tags along.

Meh.

Less judgement, more body positivity and friendship, please.

“I guess sometimes the perfection we perceive in others is made up of a whole bunch of tiny imperfections, because some days the damn dress just won't zip.”

1.5 stars!!! (cause it made me laugh)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dumplin'.

May 27, 2016 – Shelved
April 12, 2017 – Started Reading
April 15, 2017 –
page 89
23.18% "this book went from being charming and propagating body positivity to "Willowdean's book of Whining and Bashing //Other// Girls"

ugh"
April 15, 2017 –
page 122
31.77% "no contemporary book is complete without the totally-unnecessary-but-adds-loads-of-drama Love Triangle™

plz"
April 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

message 1: by Elise (new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) yikes

may ❀ Elise wrote: "yikes"

i wanted so badly to love this book im crying

Joanna (joreadsalot) oh wow I was going to give this a try but after some of those quotes I am probably going to skip this one.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ Wait, I thought she was a lesbian in this book...

may ❀ Joanna (joreadsalot) wrote: "oh wow I was going to give this a try but after some of those quotes I am probably going to skip this one."

hahahhaa oops, i mean, you never know, it could be a hit for you ??? XD

may ❀ Elizabeth♛ Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ wrote: "Wait, I thought she was a lesbian in this book..."

Girl, I have 0 idea but when I was reading it, there were two guys after her ???? idk what happens at the end tho :p

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ I just read some blog post that said she was a lesbian, so blame that person not me lol.

may ❀ hahhahahahaha no worries. XD

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Yoooooo that's not what I expected out of this one at all! Those quotes tho! *cringe*

prag ♻ we're the perfect two

Joanna (joreadsalot) мαүғℓσωεя wrote: "Joanna (joreadsalot) wrote: "oh wow I was going to give this a try but after some of those quotes I am probably going to skip this one."

hahahhaa oops, i mean, you never know, it could be a hit fo..."

Maybe but it definitely will be put lower on my reading priority. I appreciate your honest opinion on it.

message 12: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Sadai Yikes! I was interested in this book, because I assumed it was similar to Cottage Cheese Thighs. I guess not!

may ❀ Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Yoooooo that's not what I expected out of this one at all! Those quotes tho! *cringe*"

i knowwww!! I was loving it for the first 5 chapters and then THIS happened and i cri

may ❀ Pragya wrote: "we're the perfect two"

babyyyy me and youuuuuu, we're the perfect twooooo

may ❀ Joanna (joreadsalot) wrote: "мαүғℓσωεя wrote: "Joanna (joreadsalot) wrote: "oh wow I was going to give this a try but after some of those quotes I am probably going to skip this one."

hahahhaa oops, i mean, you never know, it..."

Of course, girlie!! :D

may ❀ Jenn wrote: "Yikes! I was interested in this book, because I assumed it was similar to Cottage Cheese Thighs. I guess not!"

*whispers* now i'm genuinely interested to see what this Cottage Cheese Things book is about

message 17: by maram ☂︎ (new)

maram ☂︎ This book escalated quickly LOL

may ❀ Maria wrote: "Oh jeez, this sounds so terrible. Great review, May!"

Thanks girlie, i know right, im so disapointed ;-;

may ❀ Maram wrote: "This book escalated quickly LOL"

hahahhaha, righto. ;-; rip

prag ♻ мαүғℓσωεя wrote: "Pragya wrote: "we're the perfect two"

babyyyy me and youuuuuu, we're the perfect twooooo"

don't know if I could ever be

may ❀ Pragya wrote: "мαүғℓσωεя wrote: "Pragya wrote: "we're the perfect two"

babyyyy me and youuuuuu, we're the perfect twooooo"

don't know if I could ever be"

now we're just getting disgusting 😂😂

prag ♻ HAHAHAHHAAHHA you're not completing it I hate you

may ❀ no i refuse to do that in public
im not that gross

prag ♻ YOU CAN BE THE PEANUT BUTTER TO MY JELLY

may ❀ you NEED to GO READ FINNIKIN

prag ♻ YOU CAN BE THE BUTTERFLIES I FEEL IN MY BELLY

prag ♻ it's ok I don't need you

prag ♻ WOW LOOK AT THAT IGNORE

⚔ Silvia ⚓ I'm laughing at the quotes

may ❀ HAHAHHAHAHAH PRAG I DIDNT INTENTIONALLY IGNORE YOU ((i just forgot to reply))

may ❀ Silvia wrote: "I'm laughing at the quotes"

same like WHAI DID THIS GET PUBLISHED ??!!

prag ♻ STILL NOT SHOWING YOUR LOVE FOR ME AND AUBURN

may ❀ :|
im
wow
so needy

prag ♻ ARE YOU SERIOUS YOU'RE STILL NOT DOING IT

friendship abort

may ❀ WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME???

prag ♻ Pragya wrote: "YOU CAN BE THE BUTTERFLIES I FEEL IN MY BELLY"

Pragya wrote: "YOU CAN BE THE PEANUT BUTTER TO MY JELLY"

you can be the captain and I can be your first mate

message 37: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Simion I'm sorry you didn't like it and that it seems so annoying. Hope your future reads are better Mayflower :)

may ❀ Kira wrote: "I'm sorry you didn't like it and that it seems so annoying. Hope your future reads are better Mayflower :)"

Thanks girlie!! I've been enjoying my reads so far! :D

prag ♻ Pragya wrote: "Pragya wrote: "YOU CAN BE THE BUTTERFLIES I FEEL IN MY BELLY"

Pragya wrote: "YOU CAN BE THE PEANUT BUTTER TO MY JELLY"

you can be the captain and I can be your first mate"

you can be the chills that I feel on our first date

may ❀ why are you doing this i swear YOURE EMBARRASING ME

. . . ffjkdahfuiahfuidashukh you can be the hero and i can be your sidekick

prag ♻ FINALLY 😍

you can be the tears that I cry if we ever split

may ❀ how long must we do this for????

you can be the rain from the clouds when it's stormin'

prag ♻ or you can be the sun when it shines in the morning

idk I didn't think this through I really thought you'd never reply

may ❀ wow genius plan

caUSE YOURE THE ONE FOR ME, FOR ME

prag ♻ AND I'M THE ONE FOR YOU, FOR YOU

may ❀ okay thats enough
bai

prag ♻ ...fine goodbye

message 48: by Nuha (new)

Nuha Zabreen Oki i guess i will be skipping this one .... 👋

may ❀ Nuha wrote: "Oki i guess i will be skipping this one .... 👋"

ahahha, it's oh so very meh, in my true honest opinion. XD

message 50: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star