Irene Sim's Reviews > The Goose Girl

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

31914348

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fairytales, 2016-read

This isn't a romance book and it isn't a "singing-in-the-rain" or "the-sound-of-music" fairytale.
It is about a young girl who've been told all her life that she was a failure, that she couldn't claim her rightfull place, that she was found lacking basic endowments and was kept apart from her siblings in order not to infect them with her "witchcraft".

But Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree knew her place in the world and even though her family let her down, she accepted her given destiny standing tall, even though it killed her to be sent away from her beloved country.

And even though her path took an unexpected turn and she met misery and deception and loss and the hurt of traitorous friends, she was rewarded with new friendships, kindness among people who saw her for who she really was and found her inner self and claimed her rightfull position for the love of the ones who loved her.

She met amazing people who stood by her side and offered comfort.

"And when you get tired of worrying and mournigh for your horse and trying not to be afraid, tell me and I'll do it for you a while so you can shut your eyes and sleep peaceful."

She found a loving new country who needed a strong Queen even more than her birth country and she found herself loving her new fellow citizens even more and for their shake she fought hard to be the Queen they deserved and went against her emotions and feelings and renounced her right to love in order to be their Queen.

"But in a country where you hang your dead up on walls and pride whether or not a man bears a javelin more than his character, how am I to persuade you out of war? It would be suicide for Kildenree to war on Bayern and butchery for Bayern to attack Kilenree. If you don’t believe me, then send me back. Or if you don’t trust me to leave, I’ll return to my little room on the west wall and tend your geese, and you can be sure that on my watch no thieves will touch my flock………
If you want evidence, explain why a mother would send her first daughter into her enemy’s camp. I’ll be your evidence.”

So after all her struggles and near death experiences (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.

May 27, 2016 – Shelved
May 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
August 19, 2016 – Started Reading
August 21, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 22, 2016 – Shelved as: fairytales
August 22, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-read

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jilly (new)

Jilly lovely review, Irene! :)

Irene Sim Jilly wrote: "lovely review, Irene! :)"
Thank you, Jilly!

message 3: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Loves Books Fab review Irene!!

Irene Sim Sammy wrote: "Fab review Irene!!"

Thank you, Sammy!