J.A. Belfield's Reviews > The Glass Man

The Glass Man by Jocelyn Adams

5120786

Recommended for: everyone

This baby isn't due out until October, but I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an ARC.
To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. This is my first foray into a novel where a fae was the MC and the writer tosses the reader into a hidden realm, because I usually run screaming from anything remotely fantasy (unless werewolves play a big factor). However, Jocelyn Adams has such an elegant simplicity to her writing, I found myself easily sucked in and pretty much unwilling to leave once she had me there.
This is not the kind of novel you should pick up when you think 'I'll just slot in a five minute read'. The pace of it is so energetically fast, you'll find yourself buckled in tight and hauled along for the ride--and before you know it, it's way past bedtime and you're halfway through with your mind screaming at you to keep going because you only have half the book left to go dammit!

So what had me so engrossed?
I'll admit, I had to take a breather from reading it to writing this review. I'll blame that on the breakneck (for me) speed at which I ploughed through it, and the fact that I'm still processing every detail that I didn't allow myself to ponder over at the time of racing for the finish line just to find out how it ended.

This is what I think had me hooked:
Liam. Loved him! But I look and long for the romance in every book I pick up.
Lila. Such a great leading lady, with great character development from start to finish. She was strong at the beginning of the story, but without the focus she'd garnered by the end that came with her self discoveries and acceptance, ensuring she grew and grew as the story evolved.
Parthalan. Hated him! Yet there was some sick and twisted dark part of me that just had to see if/how he'd succeed, and almost urged him to because I found his self-adoration quite amusing to read.
The introductions to the fae realms. This is often the part of fantasy novels that have me running for the hills. Toss too many descriptions at me and too many new creatures/beings/names to absorb and the heavy focus of my brain on those takes away some of my reading pleasure. I have to say, Jocelyn had the descriptions well and truly fine tuned. Not once did I feel weighed down by information overload, and not once did I struggle to imagine the pictures she painted within my reader mind. Kudos to her for that.
There were also plenty of side characters who intrigued me enough that I look forward to finding out more about them in the future ... which is good--because this just happens to be the first in a trilogy, guarenteeing any others who get sucked in (like me) more! more! more! in the future.

This one definitely earned its 5* rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Man.

Quotes J.A. Liked

Jocelyn Adams
“You keep saying that and I keep suggesting a psychiatrist. Maybe it's time you take my advice.”
Jocelyn Adams, The Glass Man
tags: lila

May 2, 2011 – Shelved
July 6, 2011 – Started Reading
July 6, 2011 –
0.0% "Oh, yeah, baby. Been looking forward to this one."
July 6, 2011 –
6.0% "Mmmmmmmmmm. That is all ... for now!"
July 6, 2011 –
21.0% "Ho-ho-ho--things have hotted up ... so why do I think deep down that all is not well."
July 7, 2011 –
30.0% "And so ... the plot thickens .... Gotta say, though: despite his a*****e-y behaviour ... I do kinda lurve Liam already :o)"
July 9, 2011 –
95.0% "Yeah, baby, coming to the home stretch and eager for goodness to conquer evil."
July 9, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn Adams Yes!!!!!!! Hehehehe. I'm stoked you liked it.

J.A. Belfield Jocelyn wrote: "Yes!!!!!!! Hehehehe. I'm stoked you liked it."

Come now, Jo, this is you we're talking about. When have I ever not liked your work?

message 3: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn Adams Wow, I'm grinning from ear to ear. I think you know how much I value your opinion, so to have you say that about my baby tickles me all sorts of pink. :D

David James Wishing you all the success in your new career....you are nothing short of brilliant.

J.A. Belfield Jocelyn wrote: "Wow, I'm grinning from ear to ear. I think you know how much I value your opinion, so to have you say that about my baby tickles me all sorts of pink. :D"

Aww, shucks ...