Kritika's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

liked it
bookshelves: arc-or-review-copy, pub-crown, pub-random-house, sci-fi, mystery, suspense

This book was SO GOOD until about 60% in, and then it fell flat. I'm kind of disappointed, I was expecting this book to be really awesome.

This book promised to be more on the science-y end of sci-fi, and in the beginning, it was. There was so much explanation about time travel and alternate universes and the physics involved in it, which I thought was really cool and well thought out. I really appreciated how even complicated physics ideas became accessible the way they were explained in this book; I understood the Schroedinger's cat situation better from this book than when it was explained in my quantum physics class!

So after all that physics and world-building, and an incredibly intense and mind-bending first chapter, I was expecting a smart sci-fi thriller. And that's what this book was for the first 60% or so. Then it took a sentimental turn, which isn't necessarily bad, but in this case all the sentiments only muddled the story. I'm all for love stories and love transcending boundaries and alternate universes, but not at the expense of the spirit of the story. Not only did the story slow down, the relationships and motivations of the characters got really questionable compared to what they were in the beginning. (view spoiler)

I wouldn't recommend this book to hard sci-fi fans, nor would I recommend it to people who enjoy love stories. This story tries too hard to combine both, and to me at least it didn't do a great job of it.

A free e-ARC was provided by Crown Publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

May 26, 2016 – Shelved
June 1, 2016 – Shelved as: sci-fi
June 1, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery
June 1, 2016 – Shelved as: suspense
June 1, 2016 –
10.0% "I've read one chapter and I can already tell this book will be FANTASTIC. That was intense, and so, so well written!"
June 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brooke Beck This is exactly how I felt about this book!