NJ's Reviews > Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet? by David Levithan

May 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, it-was-on-sale, reviewed-uhm-sort-of

Liked it! It was short, yet surprisingly satisfying. I do have to say that there could have been a lot of stuff that can happen, but hey, it's not my book. The voice used in Are We There Yet? is different from David Levithan's collaborations. First of all, it's not in the first person point-of-view. I admit, I was kind of disappointed at first. Levithan's first person narrations are a riot. However, the third person narrative gave an in-depth no-nonsense feel to the story. Which I surprisingly dig. Dug? Hmmm.

I gave it three stars because I feel like all I'm giving are fours and fives and I'm being a little lenient I feel that there are some major things missing. I can see the character development, especially with Danny, the older brother, but it feels forced and too sudden. I liked Danny's character though, and I feel like he's the face of most of the twenty-somethings that's part of the corporate world (aka the world were friends are scarce). I feel bad for him, really! He has no one to send postcards to, unlike Elijah who has Cal. He has nobody to miss, and no one's back home to miss him. Man, that's so sad. Then there's Elijah, who I basically like because of his amiable personality and all. In many ways I relate to him, because I don't feel like growing up too. But what can we really do about it, huh? Julia, I don't like much. I feel like she's not a major part of the story. It would have gone on smoothly without her. Maybe she's a catalyst? I don't know. But one thing's for sure: I. Don't. Like. Her.

Despite the three stars, I still think this book is worthy of reading. I'm looking forward to more Levithan books (although they're really rare in bookstores, like really rare). Hopefully I'd stumble upon a copy of, let's say, The Realm of Possibility. And hopefully it'll be on sale too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are We There Yet?.

May 2, 2011 – Started Reading
May 2, 2011 – Shelved
May 2, 2011 – Shelved as: books-i-own
May 3, 2011 –
page 68
31.63% "So far so good. Still no sign of a Julia though."
May 5, 2011 –
page 100
46.51% "Hmmm, would be better if it's in first person point of view but whatever, still good. :)"
May 5, 2011 –
page 186
86.51% "I don't like Julia. Ugh."
May 6, 2011 – Finished Reading
May 7, 2011 – Shelved as: it-was-on-sale
June 14, 2012 – Shelved as: reviewed-uhm-sort-of

El Diario de Marina love your review. I hadn't finish it yet but I'm agreeing with you already with most of what you are saying. I'm a fan of Levithan work ❤