Mark Sarney's Reviews > Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution

Owning Our Future by Marjorie Kelly

bookshelves: social-science, ufp, kag-research

I've been a fan of Marjorie Kelly since I read The Divine Right of Capital: Dethroning the Corporate Aristocracy. This book, Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution, takes you on her mental journey from her thinking in Divine Right (reforming capitalism before it destroys itself) to highlighting emerging changes that could be capitalized on to stop capitalism from destroying the planet as well as society. (And no, she's not advocating socialism, communism, or nationalization of the banks. Her ideas are all aimed at building successful, for-profit businesses.)

The bottom line is that extractive finance is dangerously unstable and unsustainable, to capitalism, to the market-based economy, and to the entire planet. Rather than solely maximizing financial profits, at which Wall Street has become destructively too efficient, businesses can become for-profit businesses that do more than simply boost short-term shareholder equity.

This is the book to read after Michael Lewis' The Big Short, when you're wondering, okay, what the hell do we do now? I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Owning Our Future.

May 26, 2016 – Shelved