Bridget's Reviews > The Raven King

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: 2016, ya, 2019
Read 2 times. Last read September 20, 2019.

Bumped up to four stars on a second reading. I still think this series takes a weirdly sharp left turn after The Dream Thieves but it turns out that The Raven King being "not quite as good as my favorite book in this series, which is also one of my favorite books ever" means it's...still pretty dang good? I embraced the supernatural stuff a little more this time around and so that was fun. I think I just want more continuity. I want Henry in book one and mint leaves in book four, you know?

And to address my specific spoilery complaints: 1. it kinda is, still, only in a different way than we thought; 2. true, and that's ok; 3. yes but I'm here for it.

First reading May 2016:

Oh yes I did just give this only three stars! I'm reminded of my initial waffling between zero and five stars for book one of this series: as far as what it IS, it's amazing. But for what it ISN'T...I have some major (spoilery) complaints:

(view spoiler)

My hope is that this book will improve on a second reading. I mean, I loved Mockingjay the first time around, but on every reading since, I've liked it less. Maybe the reverse will happen with this one. I trust Maggie Stiefvater and so I have to believe this book is better than I think it is at this moment. Now that I know the ending, maybe I'll be able to start at the beginning again someday and focus on the "is" of this series, not the "isn't."

(But yeah, for now, three stars.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven King.

Started Reading