Kristi's Reviews > Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance Through Their Stories

Lost Women of the Bible by Carolyn Custis James

1197441

bookshelves: faith

When my mother gave this book to me, she said, “It’s not what you’re thinking.” Indeed, it was not. It was much much better than anything I had anticipated. I had expected a re-hashing of familiar old stories and perhaps a new perspective on a few. Instead, Carolyn Custis James brings an entirely new concept to light – the woman as “ezer,” intended by God to be actively used by Him, the natural skills He has given her and influence on the men in her life completely validated by Him. While by no means a proponent of man-trashing or “women’s lib” womanhood, James uses the Bible to confront the non-biblical ways in which the church culture has misconstrued the Bible to largely relegate women to only certain ministries and judge their success only by the “husband and children” expectation. She tenderly addresses those women who have been marginalized by the church, having had their areas of giftedness disregarded because they don’t fit the mold. James points to passages that illuminate how God values women and their varied contributions to ministry and she encourages all of us to look to God alone for our identity and self-image. What a breath of fresh air!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Women of the Bible.

Started Reading