Amy's Reviews > Once and For All

Once and For All by Cheryl Etchison

Good debut novel. I liked the writing and the voice. Sweet love story!

Bree has battled and survived cancer twice but it has done a number on her life. No job, no hope of one as long as any perspective employer thinks it will increase the company’s insurance premiums, she has no choice but to live with her folks and not have a life of her own. Not only that, but she feels like everyone thinks of her as being sick rather than being a survivor. Her greatest wish is just to be able to live her life, get a job, get back to normal, and unencumbered by worried watchful eyes. She knows they all mean well but she’s a grown woman and wants to live her life, her way.

When Danny comes home on leave…the first in a very long time…he discovers the girl he left behind has had one rough time of it. When he thought she’d moved on, he did. He joined the Army and chose a new life, one that didn’t include Bree Dunbar but now he wants to help her. He wants to give her what she wants most…her life back. With an offer of marriage, he wants to help her get free of her life as it is, start over, and get back to living a normal life. When she’s ready, he will let her go, if she wants, free to live her life, even explore love with someone new if she wants. Only once they start spending time together, he knows he wants her only to spend her life with him.

Orders take Danny back into action and an email gives Bree the chance to get what she wanted, but then everything changes in a blink of the eye.

ONCE AND FOR ALL by Cheryl Etchison started out a bit awkward and I wasn’t sure I was going to like this story but then I saw the friendship that exists between Bree and Danny. I understand this story. I understand Bree’s feeling trapped in her life and understand her accepting Danny’s offer of rescue. I had to laugh when Bree says, “If it weren’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all” because I say that same thing all the time, which is why I could connect with Bree. I’ve never had cancer, but I understand completely your life no longer being your own.

It is the life-long friendship growing into an adult love that made this story so wonderful. The characters are real and honest. Although, I was a bit put off that it took Bree so long to talk to Danny about her cancer but admittedly, in the beginning of their marriage, it wasn’t important. I appreciate his acceptance and caring for her, even after a decade apart. They may have split in their romantic relationship but their friendship was one that would last a lifetime, and all really good love matches are based in friendship first and foremost.

I truly recommend ONCE AND FOR ALL, book one in the American Valor series by Cheryl Etchison because it’s a real romance, even if it starts out a little wonky, and a little unrealistic, it’s real and it’s special. Cheryl has a wonderful voice and a talent that I think will take her storytelling to greater heights. I look forward to reading more from this debut author. Maybe brother Michael, will get his story too.

***eCopy provided by author and publisher in exchange for an honest and unscripted review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once and For All.

May 26, 2016 – Started Reading