Dan Schwent's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

May 26, 2016

bookshelves: 2016, 2016-books, summer-of-love
Recommended to Dan by: Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

On the way home from the local bar, Jason Dessen is ambushed by an unknown assailant in a geisha mask. After being injected with something, Jason wakes up and his world has been turned upside down...

As I mentioned in the past, I tend to resist books with any amount of hype attached. I even passed on this when it initially came up on Netgalley. However, the gang at Goodreads made me change my mind. So, yeah, the gang was right. Every once in a while, a book feels like it was written with my admittedly peculiar tastes in mind. This is one of those books that caught lightning in a bottle.

As with reads like The Man from Primrose Lane and The Great Forgetting, I'm going to keep this as vague as possible to retard spoilage. Dark Matter is a thriller with a science fiction bend. The What-the-fuckery level is quite high and I wolfed it down in two sittings. It's so damn readable I want to punch Blake Crouch in the junk.

Jason Dessen made for a great lead, a scientist with a loving family and a life he wasn't that enthused about. When he wakes up in another life, he quickly finds himself driving up diarrhea drive on four flat tires.

Since this wasn't my first ride on the weirdness wagon, I tipped to who the masked man was before the big reveal. However, I had no idea the magnitude of the mind fuck headed my way. I pretty much cleared my calendar to wolf down everything after the first 24%. It was that damn gripping.

The ending was great. I kind of guessed how things would go but Crouch hit the ball out of the park.

I don't really know what else I can say without spoiling things. I didn't think Blake Crouch could top Pines but top it he did. Dark Matter is a Twilight Zone episode written by Phillip K. Dick. 5 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

May 26, 2016 – Shelved
May 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 15, 2016 – Started Reading
July 15, 2016 –
24.0% "Good shit so far."
July 16, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
July 16, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-books
July 16, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 30, 2016 – Shelved as: summer-of-love

Richard Derus And it came in a super-spiffed-out package, too!

Kdawg91 that good huh?

karen 'retard-spoilage" makes me think of a particularly slow zombie.

Jason Sounds great...

Richard Derus karen wrote: "'retard-spoilage" makes me think of a particularly slow zombie.

but wait - what kinda spiffed-out package?? i just read a boring old arc - what did i miss out on?"

My copy came in a solid-black bubble evp w/a special address label in the hot-pink jacket color w/the title printed on it, and a blank escutcheon where they stuck the clear recipient address. I actually wanted a camera phone for once, it was so tricked out!

karen ooh, fancy indeed!

Richard Derus karen wrote: "ooh, fancy indeed!"

Nothing's too good for the guy with a TV deal....

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Yay! Glad you liked it. The only problem with it was that now we need more like this one.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "Yay! Glad you liked it. The only problem with it was that now we need more like this one."

Someone should chain Blake Crouch to a radiator someplace with nothing but a laptop and a pee bucket.

Zoeytron I also loved your line about retarding spoilage. Ha! Awesome review for a fab read, Dan.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Thanks!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I got this one from NetGalley but haven't read it yet. Glad to see you like it!

message 13: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I got this one from NetGalley but haven't read it yet. Glad to see you like it!"

Drop everything and read it! Then you can lord it over everyone when it comes out next week.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Maybe I will! The NG book I just started last night is a little rough. I think I need something better.

message 15: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Maybe I will! The NG book I just started last night is a little rough. I think I need something better."

Most of my Netgalley picks wind up feeling like that. I should probably work on chipping away at my existing pile before I go looking for freebies.

message 16: by Ɗắɳ 2.☊ (last edited Jul 18, 2016 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Or waste no time at all between The Great Forgetting and this. What do I know? Glad you loved it. So (view spoiler)

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I got this one from NetGalley but haven't read it yet. Glad to see you like it!"

Uh-oh, don't let Jess hear that. I imagine she's already finished by now. This one's hard to put down. Much like Dan version 1.0, I devoured this book in no time at all.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I know, and it's my fault for pushing Jess to do a buddy read starting last Friday - she wanted to wait until August! And then I totally spaced it. :/ I've got a pretty busy workday staring me in the face, but I'll start it later today.

message 19: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Ɗắɳ 2.☠ wrote: "Or waste no time at all between The Great Forgetting and this. What do I know? Glad you loved it. So [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I know, and it's my fault for pushing Jess to do a buddy read starting last Friday - she wanted to wait until August! And then I totally spaced it. :/ I've got a pretty busy workday staring me in t..."

It's short and sweet, Tadiana, hope you dig it. :)

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ @Dan: (view spoiler)

message 22: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent (view spoiler)

message 23: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will M. Everyone I know and trust here on goodreads liked this. Glad we all have the same opinion!

message 24: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Looks like this one hits the stands today

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I assume I missed this review because #worksucksandihateeverything. Good job reading this right. Glad we can still be friends : )

message 26: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "I assume I missed this review because #worksucksandihateeverything. Good job reading this right. Glad we can still be friends : )"

Me too

Jennifer Masterson I "like" this review when you published it but I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed reading it. I'm so happy the Goodreads gang talked you into reading this one! Terrific review!

message 28: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Jennifer wrote: "I "like" this review when you published it but I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed reading it. I'm so happy the Goodreads gang talked you into reading this one! Terrific review!"

Thanks! I'm really glad I caved in too.

Jennifer Masterson This one did live up to the hype, Dan! I was worried I wouldn't get it because it was sci fi, but I did. :)

message 30: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Jennifer wrote: "This one did live up to the hype, Dan! I was worried I wouldn't get it because it was sci fi, but I did. :)"

I think Dark Matter is really accessible for a sf book. Thankfully, Blake Crouch didn't spend a lot of time dwelling on the science.

message 31: by alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

alex Started Dark Matter last night and I'm completely hooked. The first chapter had my heart pounding and hands sweating. I normally avoid overly hyped books, too, but you and other Goodreaders convinced me to pick it up. Thanks!!

Cindy I have to say that who was in the Geisha mask was pretty obvious, but I felt like a fool for not seeing the (view spoiler)

message 33: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Cindy wrote: "I have to say that who was in the Geisha mask was pretty obvious, but I felt like a fool for not seeing the [spoilers removed]"

I didn't see that coming either.

message 34: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Philippone This one was on my list. Moving it up a few spaces.

message 35: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent It's worth it

message 36: by Sarah Suzy (new) - added it

Sarah Suzy You should put your reviews together in a book. Divide the book into genre categories only YOU could come up with! It would be a best seller for sure. I want to read every book you've read once I read your review! Just great! Thanks, Dan!

message 37: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent You're welcome!

message 38: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin I tried and failed to get this from NetGalley. Sounds great!

message 39: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Erin wrote: "I tried and failed to get this from NetGalley. Sounds great!"

It's in my top 10 for the year for sure.

message 40: by Chip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chip Eh. I didn't think this amazing. Not really original or particularly creative in my book. For something in a similar vein but IIRC far more interesting and well done, try Replay by Ken Grimwood.

message 41: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Chip wrote: "Eh. I didn't think this amazing. Not really original or particularly creative in my book. For something in a similar vein but IIRC far more interesting and well done, try Replay by Ken Grimwood."

I'll probably end up downgrading it at some point. I loved it while I was reading it but have already forgotten most of it.

It reminded me of The Walls of the Universe

message 42: by William (new) - added it

William Thank you for the review!

message 43: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent You're welcome, William

message 44: by john (new) - added it

john Great in-depth review!

message 45: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent John wrote: "Great in-depth review!

I loved the Wayward Pines series and I've had my eye on this for a few months but wasn't sure and you've sold it!"

I actually liked this a little better than Wayward Pines.