tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Underground Film - A Critical History

Underground Film - A Critical History by Parker Tyler

bookshelves: film

On the back of my (2nd) edition of Sitney's "Visionary Film" one of the reviewers claims that it's "the first serious book that I know of to be devoted to the subject." Well.. Parker Tyler's bk was earlier - & it's the 1st one I read. It's probably not as in-depth as the bks that followed but it still gets across the feeling of there being something important happening out there that's off the mainstream map - something hedonistic, critical, inspired, daring.. It definitely got me curious about all the movies I had little or no idea how to go about seeing. In the back, there's a list of films organized by yrs. Throughout the decades since I read this, I've periodically checked off the films that I've seen. There are still maybe a half to a third that I've missed. As w/ all Grove Press bks of the time, of wch I've read many, reading this left me w/ a feeling - a feeling of uncensored access to free thinking, a feeling that's still important to me to this day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underground Film - A Critical History.

Started Reading