tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Hitler, a Film from Germany

Hitler, a Film from Germany by Hans-Jürgen Syberberg

bookshelves: film

It appears that my opportunities for checking out movies by Syberberg have been few & far between. Long ago, I saw a 3&1/2-5hr epic by him shot in the Reichstag w/ only one actress (a Native American woman) reciting a text, apparently from memory, in whole-reel duration shots. Such an intense formal restriction was, of course, an extreme challenge for the actress & for the (v)audience. I don't remember being particularly bored - despite the film being one long monologue. Much more recently, I saw Syberberg's version of a Wagner opera on video. The style of it was.. operatic! "Hitler" seems to've been made in much the same spirit. On the cover, Hitler is shown rising from a grave that has "RW" on the gravestone - presumably standing for Richard Wagner. At any rate, this seems like it's probably a unique movie - a theatrical & camp analysis of the difficult subject of Germany's post-nazi relationship to Hitler.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler, a Film from Germany.