Jessi's Reviews > Priscilla the Great

Priscilla the Great by Sybil Nelson

May 01, 2011

Read from May 01 to 05, 2011

What a great tween read! I honestly can say that I really enjoyed this story from start to finish. The author created an engaging protag and blended together a perfect amount of suspense and action to keep me "turning the pages." (read this as an ebook)

I loved the fiery (yes, literally and figuratively) narrator, Priscilla (or Priss, as she's called). She was written in such a way that she comes across as very real and very relateable. Her inner dialogue and, well, her actual dialogue strikes me as very much how I envision (and vaguely remember) that of an actual tween.

The storyline never seemed to drag for me. You get right into the heat of things from the very beginning when Priss sets towels on fire in a bathroom at a party. (hahaha, get it..."heat" of things? Yeah, I'm feeling very punny today) I actually got so frustrated with her dad because he knew what was up and I wanted him to freaking tell me! When she overhears her parents' phone conversation, I wanted her to call him on it so I could find out the truth!

In the hopes of not spoiling any of the fun for you, I'll conclude by saying that there is a lot of action and suspense in this one. A little violence and blood makes its way in, but not in a graphic way at all--just the amount you would expect to move the storyline along. There is just a hint of romance sprinkled in as well--the very innocent first love kind of romance that is fun to read in tween stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Priscilla the Great.

05/04/2011 page 24
8.0% "Will you just tell me why her dad freaked out already?"
05/05/2011 page 85
28.0% "Superhero = no kissing? hahaha"
05/05/2011 page 100
32.0% "HAHAHA! Armed guards dancing to Christina Aguilera?!"