Mickey Reed's Reviews > Perfect

Perfect by Ellen Hopkins

bookshelves: 2011, arc
Recommended for: Ellen Hopkins fans, Fans of books written in verse

I received this ARC through an Armchair BEA giveaway. Here is my honest review:

Let me start by saying that this is yet another Ellen Hopkins book that does not disappoint! I don't think it's as gritty as some of her other ones, but there is drama and real pain and emotion in this book. There is the typical drugs, sex, violence in here, but it's all different than what I feel like I'm used to with Hopkins. Granted, I haven't read ALL of her books (I'm missing a couple like Identical..), but this one is very emotional and written in the verse we've all come to know and love.

She is one of the authors whose books I will always read rather than listen to. The placement of the words on the page tell a story in her novels just as much as the words themselves do. I absolutely adore her writing style, because I love when certain words stick out on the page to make a whole new sentence that either summarizes the idea on that particular page or to completely contradict the idea and explain how the narrator is really feeling. Also, she uses another technique in this book of using the last thoughts of the narrator before and making them the first thoughts of the next narrator. Sounds weird, but read this one and tell me it's not cool when you see it!

In this book, Cara, Sean, Kendra, and Andre weave their tales together to make one story about their individual lives as well as how they connect with each other. Their stories are ones of growth, failure, triumph, learning, success, racism, drug use, eating disorders, death, and life. Each of their tales is different but so similar: they want/need to be perfect. It's heartbreaking.

It's always so interesting to read one of Hopkins's books because she always surprises you. The end of this one left me wanting more about these teens! What happens next, Ellen?! It is great that this is a continuation of Impulse of sorts, but now I want more about these people. The end was sad, but it just wasn't enough. But I appreciate the final words of this story more than some I've read lately. Great job!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect.

May 1, 2011 – Shelved
August 26, 2011 – Started Reading
page 107
17.2% "Whoa, hey.. this just got way more interesting!"
page 278
44.69% "wowowowoweeee"
page 362
58.2% "My ARC copy has over 600 pages.."
page 437
page 531
85.37% "Less than 100 pages to go!"
August 26, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: arc

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mikayla Hope you read identical just finished it and omg amazing favorite book yet

Mickey Reed I'll try to read that soon!!! Thanks :o)