Garrett's Reviews > The Vicious Deep

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova

May 01, 2011

The cover of The Vicious Deep tells you not to let it pull you under. Well, you'll want to do the opposite. Because I'm warning you: this book's just like the whirlpool Tristan encounters in the beginning; it sucks you right in and refuses to let go.
The Vicious Deep is something I never expected to find: a guys' mermaid book. Well, maybe not exactly, more unisex, if anything. There's plenty of kisses and romance for the ladies, but there's also plenty of thrills, action, and fighting for the guys.
TVD can be summed up in one word: FUN. From beginning to end, I laughed and gasped and kept flipping pages. Zoraida's writing style is quick and to-the-point, but also witty and hilarious. There were also many in-jokes that every Little Mermaid fan should pick up on. And if all that hasn't peaked your interest, pick up the book. There are several memorable scenes in the novel that will make you laugh, cry, and sit on the edge of your seat. One of my all-time favorite scenes that had me grinning from ear to ear was the bubble-gum scene. You'll understand.
The world of TVD was fully developed too. We not only have traditional mermaids, but all kinds of paranormal creatures, from vampires to werewolves, to fey and shifters. There's a little something from everyone in the book.
Probably my favorite thing of the novel was the voice: Tristan. Most mermaid books are from a female perspective, but getting the point of view of a teenage boy as he undergoes his transformation into a merman was funny as it was highly readable. The bathtub scene of Tristan's first transformation was incredibly hilarious.
And the other characters! There are so many of them, and each of them so diverse that you won't want to leave their world. From Layla to Gwen, Thalia and Marty, each character felt so real and I didn't want to say goodbye.
So if you want good ol' sea monster action, a classic summer love story, a magical trip under the sea, or a seriously creepy villain, dive into The Vicious Deep!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vicious Deep.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily and this one has a guy main character! There aren't many of those.

Garrett I know, right?! Now I'll have a more relatable mermaid book. :)

message 1: by Manuel (new) - added it

Manuel You sold me on this book. I saw it at the bookstore a few days ago but wasn't sure about it. Glad to know another guy likes it. I love the merpeople and the ocean but it's rare for me to find action/adventure type things about them