Inge's Reviews > Under Rose-Tainted Skies

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

bookshelves: contemporary, mental-health, smiles-a-plenty, young-adult, diverse-reads, 1to-reread

This book.

This book, this book, this book.

I'm so happy that there's finally a real and honest book about agoraphobia. While I liked Finding Audrey, I didn't think it was completely realistic. The girl skips to Starbucks within a week because of a cute boy. And while there's a cute boy in Under Rose-Tainted Skies as well, he acts like a catalyst more than a cure. He's the reason Norah wants to work to get better, but he doesn't actually make her better, which I was infinitely grateful for. Pretty boys don't cure everything, you know, as much as we may want them to.

Agoraphobia is a really tricky illness. It's hard to understand if you haven't experienced it yourself. I imagine it's quite hard to write a whole book about it, because how does one write a book about a girl who can't leave her house? But the author did a really great job; Rose never felt monotonous, even though the illness is most certainly that.

Although there were a lot of instances in the book that made me smile, there were also a lot of quotes that left me misty-eyed because of how well I recognised it. How well I could relate to Norah and her situation. It's just So. Damn. Hard. And I loved how the author didn't flinch away from that. It's clear she knows what she's talking about and that really showed in her novel. The pain, the madness, the boredom, the endless scrolling through social media to look at pictures of old friends who have long since outgrown you. It's all there.

I also thought the OCD and self-harm scenes felt really realistic. Though I don't have personal experience with those myself, I thought it was important to mention to any potential readers out there.

You can imagine that someone with agoraphobia doesn't have a lot of friends. Online, I have loads of friends. Social media are my connection to the outside world, because at the moment it's pretty much impossible for me to meet up with friends or invite them over. But the few relationships Norah had, were done really nicely. I loved that moment when Norah realised that she'd become best friends with her mother, which is something that definitely sounds familiar. Her friendship with her neighbour Luke also develops really naturally (and very much awkwardly because holy crap so much awkwardness).

I really liked the writing. Most of the descriptions were really snappy and made me laugh, such as "Doubt sneaked behind me like some horny guy at a disco, which is probably the best and worst analogy I've ever heard.

All in all, this is a really important book. It's awkward and sad and honest and real and cute and true and I could probably name all the adjectives in the world. This book means a lot to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Rose-Tainted Skies.

May 25, 2016 – Shelved
May 25, 2016 – Shelved as: buy-me
July 1, 2016 – Shelved as: tbr-own
July 21, 2016 – Started Reading
July 23, 2016 –
page 93
34.19% ""I want to see that girl in my social media selfies. The one that smiles and never has to live up to anyone's expectations or explain why she is the way she is. But all I see in my real-life reflection are blunt smudges of shadow. Fragile. Upset. Weak. Thin. Afraid. Failing. And tired. Above everything else, tired of battling with my own mind.""
July 23, 2016 –
page 157
57.72% ""Doubt sneaks up behind me like some horny dude at a disco." I don't know if I find this analogy amazing or horrible or both, but it made me laugh."
July 23, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 23, 2016 – Shelved as: mental-health
July 23, 2016 – Shelved as: smiles-a-plenty
July 23, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 23, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2017 – Shelved as: diverse-reads
December 29, 2017 – Shelved as: 1to-reread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast) It makes me happy to hear- finally!- of a book where mental illness isn't glorified or misrepresented, but handled accurately and sensitively. I'm glad you were able to find a book like this that maybe makes you feel less alone.

And I totally feel you on the online friends front. I've met so many fantastic, smart, lovely people (like you!) on this website in particular, and even though I know I'll most likely never meet them, our discussions and conversations are dear to me all the same. :)

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Excellent! Can't wait to read it Inge.

message 3: by David W. (new)

David W. It's so sad. So many things that can go wrong in literature, even with research. :(

message 4: by David W. (new)

David W. I mean, just for the sake of not coming out as *stupid* — never mind offensive — you'd think that some writers will do their research better.

message 5: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I You're review and the comments have my eyes welling up with tears. The quote you shared is so painfully true. As Mia said, about the online friends, completely relatable. Such a lonely, painful, sad and frustrating existence. I hope to have a chance to read this. Just requested a copy so I'm crossing fingers. Best to all!

Inge I hope you get a copy, Melissa! May you find it just as relatable as I did. We are heard. <3

message 7: by TL (new)

TL beautiful review *hugs*

message 8: by Allie (new)

Allie I'm so glad to hear this! I'm having the same issue with Finding Audrey as you did :\ I'm thinking of giving this book a shot instead

Inge Do it do it do it! <3