Kaan Akşit's Reviews > Who Owns the Future?

Who Owns the Future? by Jaron Lanier

17102099

liked it

This is a book describing what is likely to happen in the near future of technology if everything follows the very same trajectory as in the case of today's world. In the meanwhile, the book has this pitch of "Humanistic economy" model describing to accept what is coming up next. All read plausible if you keep on nodding.

However, let me take a moment to describe what is bothering me. I think we are long over the age where a single person describes a single design, and changes everyone's life. Even if a single designer scenario possible today, it is destined to fail miserably as no man have the right amount of smart to well plan every single move and leading to success all the time. Therefore, there has to be other people contributing to the idea, and the idea will change eventually.

Basically, I am saying that you can't design or suggest a humanistic economy by yourself, you have to have believers, thinkers, supporters, and they should be the majority of people and there should be a promise of "things will be better", not "Be silent, we will earn money out of every aspect of you from day 1". To change for the better, you have to have the power to influence people's culture, education, lives in a good way... None of these structures were discussed as far as I remember through out the book... It is also very funny to design a humanistic economy model without the "humanism" in it. What is human about that in the first place?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Owns the Future?.

May 24, 2016 – Shelved