Valentina's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

4197862
May 01, 2011

Read in June, 2011

What a peculiar story this was. At first, I won’t lie, the western theme was not a huge selling point for me. Hesitation was rampant. As soon as I started reading, however, I fell in love with the entire setting.
The book is mainly an adventure story. Since the characters are killers hired by a mysterious man call the Commodore, the reader expects lots of action, lots of gun-slinging scenes, but there aren’t many of those at all. If any. And that’s what makes this book work so well, it breaks away from every stereotype. The characters are rugged yet vulnerable, with a penchant for depression and melancholy. Eli, the narrator, has a soft spot for his handicapped horse and Charlie, Eli’s brother, has a need to be the leader at all times.
Their misadventures were hilarious. Nothing seemed to go right for the two brothers. The bond between them is well developed, with the usual ups and downs that siblings experience, only with guns and horses added to the mix. Some scenes had me laughing out loud at the madness. At moments it felt like a comedy skit.
Don’t make the mistake of not picking this book up because of the seemingly cowboy-ish theme, this is definitely a book to own and enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.

Gary I, too, thoroughly enjoyed this book. The odyssean journey was great fun. And Eli is one of the most lovable characters (despite himself) in recent memory.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi I was looking for books to add to my "to read" list and was not sure about this one till I read your review. Now I'm anxious to get started!