Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Where Things Come Back

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

May 01, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-release, 2011-100-book-challenge, books-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews, 2011-debut-authors, signed-books-arcs
Read in August, 2011

*reviewed by Cynthia*

This is one of those books that I unfortunately judged by its cover, now I know that the cover might appeal to some people but it didn't appeal to me. To me it was a little bit plain and it really didn't attract me to the book or made me want to read it, but I had heard from a couple of people that the book was actually really good and they were definitely right, it was such a great unputdownable read that this review will not do it justice.

From the very beginning Where Things Come Back surprises you with Cullen's voice, it was smart, snarky and very much like a teenage boy sounds, very realistic in my opinion and I loved his mind, it was a weird but a fascinating journey being inside it. Pretty soon into the book you find out that Cullen has a wild imagination. He would all of a sudden just start wondering and thinking random scenarios, and you're not really sure at the beginning if it's really happening or he's imagining this things but since they are pretty crazy you begin to tell apart what's real and what's not. It might sound confusing but it's not, you get used to Cullen's wild and crazy thoughts and you end up liking them, because you get to know him and understand him a lot better. Now Cullen is not the only narrator in the story we also get a few snippets of different stories and lives from a couple of other characters who are in totally different places, they don't seem to be related in any way but you somehow know that there's a reason their stories are being told in the book. The book focuses on Cullen and his life mostly, but you can sense that there's going to be a connection between him and the rest of these characters that are also very intriguing and will keep you curious to find out more about them.

I ended up loving Where Things Come Back, the writing was great, the characters were interesting and different, the plot was fascinating and I was able to very easily connect with Cullen, feel his pain and frustration about the town overlooking his brother's disappearance. Even though I did get frustrated with the town about its obsession with this bird, it was also at times funny and sad on how serious they took it, how they saw it as a chance for them to shine with all of these tourists that kept coming. Where Things Come Back has quite a few unexpected and shocking twists thrown at you throughout the novel that you don't even really care that there's not much romance in the story, you just wan to know how it's all going to end. It was a novel about family love and bonds, friendships that may last forever, hope and getting second chances. I highly recommend it and I'm hoping that a lot of people won't overlook this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Things Come Back.